September 20, 2024, 11:19:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: General Chemistry  (Read 1201 times)

Offline chuutor

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
General Chemistry
« on: January 16, 2024, 05:10:47 PM »
help a student out please, i'm planning to react 5% acetic acid to sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to create sodium acetate. my question is how do i get 15 mL 0.1 M sodium acetate? thank you in advance
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 05:26:19 PM by chuutor »

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +186/-49
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: General Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 06:17:37 PM »
Show some own work
What is the chemical equation to make it?
Then calculate backwards.
How many mol are 15 ml 0,1 M sodiumacetate.

If you know this then you can read according the chemical equation how many mol sodiumbicarbonate and acetic acid you need.

Using molar mass you get the mass of both.
Then calculate the  amount of the 5%ige acetic acid.

Offline chuutor

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 09:00:34 PM »
Show some own work
What is the chemical equation to make it?
Then calculate backwards.
How many mol are 15 ml 0,1 M sodiumacetate.

If you know this then you can read according the chemical equation how many mol sodiumbicarbonate and acetic acid you need.

Using molar mass you get the mass of both.
Then calculate the  amount of the 5%ige acetic acid.

I got 0.025 g of sodium bicarbonate and 0.49 g of acetic acid (0.51 ml in volume) I'm confused as to how i'm gonna make it 15 ml. am i supposed to add water?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1807/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 03:23:08 AM »
I got 0.025 g of sodium bicarbonate and 0.49 g of acetic acid (0.51 ml in volume)

Nope, these don't look right.

am i supposed to add water?

Most likely.

But it is not clear what is the procedure you are expected to follow, which makes the question you ask very ambiguous.

Are you expected to just react the acid with the bicarbonate and then dilute the solution? If so, it will contain not only the sodium acetate, but also remaining reagent that was in excess, it is very difficult to mix exactly stoichiometric amounts. Depending on the what you need the 0.1 M acetate solution for this approach can be good enough, but also can be completely unacceptable.

Or are you expected to react the excess acid with the bicarbonate, then to dry the sodium acetate out and use the purified solid (acetic acid will evaporate during drying) to prepare the solution? That is much better procedure in terms of acetate solution purity, but a much longer one, as drying takes time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 08:42:33 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links