June 26, 2024, 05:40:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Shimadzu QP5050A software?  (Read 832 times)

Offline ifd3f

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Shimadzu QP5050A software?
« on: June 02, 2024, 06:33:39 PM »
Hello,

I and a group of hobbyists have managed to acquire a used Shimadzu GC-17A and QP5000A GCMS unit from the mid-90s. Unfortunately, it didn't come with the PC software, so I'm wondering, does anyone have access to a copy of the PC software for it that we could examine and decompile?

We're currently trying to pull firmware off the device so that we can reverse engineer the protocol it uses, and write a driver for it able to run on a modern operating system, but having desktop-side software available would definitely make the process easier. If we do successfully reverse engineer it, we'll post what we've managed to get on GitHub.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +536/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Shimadzu QP5050A software?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2024, 09:54:40 AM »
Did you try contacting Shimadzu?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline ifd3f

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 12:21:01 PM »
Did you try contacting Shimadzu?

Yes, but unfortunately they are asking $4000 for a piece of software from the 90s.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +536/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 01:18:57 PM »
Ouch, that's rough. I don't understand why companies charge so much for legacy software.

I guess your best bet may be a university that has one sitting around somewhere. Maybe try a different tack - tell Shimadzu you are interested in learning how to use it and ask if they know anyone in your area who has one.

Alternatively you might consider posting your question at forums with a dedicated focus on chromatography and mass-spec, like

https://www.chromforum.org/viewforum.php?f=3
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 05:43:52 PM »
Sorry to say this.  The instrument companies install special drivers in the pc and a special chip in the cable connecting the pc to the instrument when the instrument, pc, a nd printer are sold.  this means that if you buy the instrument without the exact computer and cables it was produced with , you are (pardon me) screwed.  There are a few exceptions to the rule and a few work arounds.  But they are hard to find and usually take time.  Good luck. 

Offline ifd3f

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2024, 02:38:16 AM »
Thanks for the pointers -- I'll see if anyone in that forum might have access. Even if we don't have a fully-working version of the software or activation key, there's enough reverse engineering knowledge between the people in our group to get around it.

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 06:40:54 AM »
Please let us know how you make out and good luck!

Sponsored Links