June 26, 2024, 05:58:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: TROPOSPHERE FREE RADICAL REACTIONS  (Read 547 times)

Offline DBLK

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
TROPOSPHERE FREE RADICAL REACTIONS
« on: June 05, 2024, 06:33:36 PM »
...as an undergraduate in 1987 I can recall a series of lectures on the photochemicaly catalysed reactions between oxides of Nitrogen, Sulfur, Carbon, Methane, CFC's etc...in our very outer atmospheric layers...exposed to the full radiation of the sun..
...these are free radical reactions...the main purpose of the free radical activity is to produce tri-oxygen and eventually oxygen....the inhibitors to this primary reaction..are the oxide gases of elements mentioned earlier...the pollutants act like free radical 'scavengers'..to say they compete ...and due to their high concentration...the Kinetics of side reactions will be favourable...
...if you understand this topic I would love to ask you a question...

....what do you think would be the effect of introducing hydrogen peroxide into this radical chain reaction..I would love your opinion..many thanks for reading.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: TROPOSPHERE FREE RADICAL REACTIONS
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2024, 02:27:52 AM »
I don't think you need to "introduce" hydrogen peroxide there - from my vague recollection OH· is already an important part of the system, if it happens to recombine it produces H2O2 (so technically hydrogen peroxide is already present).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 06:29:05 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +536/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: TROPOSPHERE FREE RADICAL REACTIONS
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2024, 09:15:07 AM »
You remember correctly, Borek.

Moller, Atmospheric Environment, Volume 43, Issue 37, December 2009, Pages 5923-5936
Link
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links