September 07, 2024, 11:35:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Study Guide Recommendations for Spectroscopy  (Read 2309 times)

Offline benz0icacid

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Study Guide Recommendations for Spectroscopy
« on: June 06, 2024, 02:50:11 PM »
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for resources or study guides that make learning spectroscopy (like, all types) easy to comprehend for a dyslexic. I'm using the textbook "Organic Structures by Spectra" and several other stuff but I don't seem to understand any of it. I'm having trouble attempting practice problems because I'm getting confused on how to approach the questions and not sure what information I should be keeping in mind. This is for Orgo 1 review as I am going to do Orgo 2 next month. I would really appreciate any suggestions or help.

Thank you for your time and patience!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +540/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Study Guide Recommendations for Spectroscopy
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 10:05:17 AM »
If you are looking for a good all-purpose reference material for basic spectroscopy of organic molecules, you can't do better than Silverstein and Webster, Spectrometric Identification of Organic Molecules.

E.g..,
https://www.amazon.com/Spectrometric-Identification-Organic-Compounds-Silverstein/dp/0470616377

It's not really an educational textbook, per se, with practice problems and whatnot, but it's written in a straightforward, practical way and has lots of examples. (I have an older edition than what's linked to here, but I assume it's still as useful today.)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +328/-24
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 10:14:19 AM »
I second the recommendation of Silverstein.  There is also "Carbon-13 NMR based organic spectral problems" written by Phillip Fuchs and Charles Bunnell and published by Wiley in 1979.

Offline benz0icacid

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 04:26:04 PM »
Sorry for the late response, but thank you @Corbius and @Babcock_Hall! I got a PDF copy of it and am looking it over.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +328/-24
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2024, 08:51:32 AM »
The Hans Reich collection is also a great resource.  He was a wonderful teacher.

Sponsored Links