September 08, 2024, 12:41:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: help me for calculate enzyme activity and specific activity  (Read 1729 times)

Offline dune003

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I tried the DNS (3,5-Dinitrosalicylic acid) assay for my enzyme endoceullase activity analysis with beta-glucan as a substrate. I got the absorbance results. so, from the absorbance results, I don't know how to calculate enzyme activity and its specific activity.  Help me solve this problem. Can anyone help me solve this. On Monday, I need to submit my assignment.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +328/-24
Re: help me for calculate enzyme activity and specific activity
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 10:14:18 AM »
I will provide a little bit of assistance to get you started, but according to the rules of this forum, you must show your work to receive help.  In general, activity is calculated as a number in µmoles per minute.  Specific activity is calculated as a number in µmoles per minute per milligram of protein.  Notice that what is needed is an amount, not a concentration, in the numerator.  Likewise the denominator is a mass, not a concentration.  The activity of an enzyme is an extensive property, and the specific activity is an intensive property.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 02:09:35 PM by Babcock_Hall »

Offline Shrsh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: help me for calculate enzyme activity and specific activity
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2024, 03:40:52 PM »
Please check the following article:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21235585/

It has a full protocol and guidance for calculating the enzyme kinetics (and measuring the inhibition). In brief, you need to use different substrate concentrations, incubate, and detect the metabolite formation.

Sponsored Links