September 16, 2024, 03:07:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sugar solutions  (Read 1900 times)

teffe

Sugar solutions
« on: August 08, 2024, 04:38:55 PM »
Is there some chart that will tell me, if there is 100 g of a 10% sucrose solution (w/v), what percent of that weight is sugar? For w/w it is easy, but I'm having trouble finding this information for w/v

And similarly for a 10% sucrose (w/v) and 20% ethanol (v/v) cocktail with both in the same solution... Is there some table that will tell me what the weight of the sucrose and the alcohol is in 100 g of this cocktail?

Offline Aldebaran

• Mole Snacks: +6/-1
Re: Sugar solutions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2024, 04:51:40 AM »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1805/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Sugar solutions
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2024, 05:08:24 AM »
w/v concentration is in general problematic - in theory it is defined as [itex]\frac {m_{substance}} {v_{solution}}  \times 100\%[/itex], but it is quite common to misuse the definition and use vsolvent instead of the vsolution. Not that important for solutions of approximate concentration used in most of the recipes, but now and then it becomes a serious problem.

Tables for w/w can be converted to tables w/v, but it requires a density table. For solutions made of two components (like sugar/water, ethanol/water) this is usually not a problem, for multicomponent solutions you are probably out of luck.

Is there some chart that wZill tell me, if there is 100 g of a 10% sucrose solution (w/v), what percent of that weight is sugar?

What you need can be calculated with the ChemBuddy concentration calculator
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links