September 16, 2024, 03:33:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Work incident  (Read 1504 times)

Offline SpookyMulder

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Work incident
« on: August 09, 2024, 12:35:41 PM »
 I work in analytical chem as a tech. I was given a sample of a compound that I've never tested before. (The technique is determination of crystalline phases through xray defraction) The chemist showed me how to load the sample into the auto sampler and then left me to do the rest of the work. I worked with the sample for about 2 minutes before realizing it was making a ton of super light respirable dust. So I took my work to a fume hood the compound was so light that when I got into the fume hood the sample bag was open and the flow rate of the fume hood was enough to carry the the sample as dust out of the bag and into the air. It was around then I started to develop a sore throat and cough. After I finished my work I google the compound it was Titania nano structured plasma spray feed powder   (titanium dioxide nanoparticals 5nm to  15nm) and of course it's poorly reasearched but basically ever source say it's a respirable carcinogen and is most dangerous in its nanopartical  form. The msds calls for a respirator to be used when working with powder forms. I'm super pissed at my coworker for not using any Ppe and not warning me of the hazards. But I know that I'm also just as responsible for not reading the SDS before hand. So my question is do I file an incident report it's the next day it hasn't been 24 hours yet so I still can but I'm worried that I'll just get in trouble. My throat is better but still hurts a little I'm not looking for workers compensation or anything I just don't wanna get cancer down the line and not have the incident documented. I talked with the chemist and he told me to stop googling stuff and to stop being a baby
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 01:03:06 PM by SpookyMulder »

Offline MOTOBALL

• Mole Snacks: +50/-5
Re: Work incident
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2024, 01:19:12 PM »
FILE an incident report IMMEDIATELY.

The chemist has a vested interest in this, since he may have some personal culpability as well as exposing the company to liability.

You may also want to consult a personal injury lawyer, just in case you yourself have some blame; although you did take it straight to the fume hood, is there any chance that anyone else in the lab was exposed?

If so, they also have the right to be informed.

Also, get an appointment at your doctor asap, tell the doc the whole story and get this sore throat documented!!

Good Luck!

Sponsored Links