September 19, 2024, 05:47:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question on the NO2/N2O4 equilibrium  (Read 244 times)

Offline czmtzyddl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question on the NO2/N2O4 equilibrium
« on: Yesterday at 12:19:27 AM »
There is an equilibrium in the reaction 2NO2 ::equil:: N2O4.
Consider a constant-pressure system where such reaction has reached its equilibrium. How will the color change when adding extra NO2 to the system? And why?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +224/-62
Re: Question on the NO2/N2O4 equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:18:09 AM »
read forum rules
We deleted your other copy of this question because you are not allowed to double post.
You should attempt to show some work before expecting help.

Offline czmtzyddl

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:30:24 AM »
Well, from my perspective, when adding extra NO2 to the system, the concentration of NO2 increases. Therefore the color goes darker. However, according to Le Chatelier's principle, part of the NO2 should turn into N2O4 and the color should turn lighter correspondingly. And that’s the problem, the extent to which the color changes.
My friends and I both agree that the color should be darker than the origin, while our teacher believes the color should stay the same. Since I don’t have the equipment to conduct the experiment, I tried to calculate the Δc during the process. It seems to be so complicated that it confuses me even more.
So what’s really happening in the system? How should I think about a problem like this the next time? I hope the answer could include some fundamental logics of chemistry rather than some conclusions I don’t even know where they are derived from. And this is also why I posted this high school chemistry problem here. Thanks! :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1806/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:34:16 AM »
There is a very important hint in the problem: system is kept at the constant pressure.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline czmtzyddl

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:43:24 PM »
Hmm. So does it mean that although the reaction will consume more NO2, the volume shall shrink at the same time, causing the reaction to keep on going till the concentration turns back to the origin?

Offline czmtzyddl

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:48:12 PM »
Or is there an appropriate mathematical formula to explain this problem?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1806/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:52:16 AM »
Hmm. So does it mean that although the reaction will consume more NO2, the volume shall shrink at the same time, causing the reaction to keep on going till the concentration turns back to the origin?

Exactly.

And yes, there is a formula - just for the equilibrium constant. In this particular case (one reagent, one product, it doesn't have to be identical for other cases) no matter what the initial composition of the mixture is (you can start with just NO2, just N2O4, or anything in between*) once the system gets to equilibrium partial pressures of both gases will have the same value - which also means identical concentrations and identical absorption of light (or the same color).

*technically preparing things like "pure NO2" or "pure N2O4" is impossible, as they immediately start to interconvert.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links