September 20, 2024, 08:47:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Essential tremor in the lab - your experience  (Read 97 times)

Offline Incitatus

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Essential tremor in the lab - your experience
« on: Yesterday at 05:09:45 PM »
Hi,

I am a undergraduate chemical engineering student. Because of my studies, I spend quite a lot of time in the chemistry lab. A year ago, I was diagnosed with essential tremor, also affecting my hands. Because of this, I had problems, mainly concerning the use of a pipette (another thing is that the analytical chemistry course was a speedrun). Outside the lab, the tremor has little effect on my life.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and works in a laboratory? What is your experience? Has the tremor worsened your accuracy / risked your safety? Do you have any good practices related to this?

I know you are can't judge the degree of my problem or decide anything for me. However, I would appreciate any response if you have experience with this problem. Thank you in advance!
Incitatus

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +36/-3
Re: Essential tremor in the lab - your experience
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:13:29 PM »
It may not effect you at all. Using a nmr, sometimes it bothered me.  My problems were from a different ailment, but still.  If there is a specific issue that gives problems, practice.  Keep an eye on it daily.  There are usually some dexterity excercises and tests that can be done.  Bye the way, employers don't usually like to hire employees with bad medical problems.  There are exceptions, but fyi.

Sponsored Links