September 07, 2024, 08:00:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How many unbonded pairs are in C2Br4?  (Read 7888 times)

Offline Amy_Durante

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How many unbonded pairs are in C2Br4?
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:32:21 PM »
The compound C2Br4 (Tetrabromoethylene). The 2 and 4 together in the same compound are throwing me off. I know that it has 2 bonded pairs but what about unbonded pairs? I cannot remember what to do if there are two numbers in the same compound.  ???

Offline Terrific

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How many unbonded pairs are in C2Br4?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 08:38:20 PM »
I don't believe there are any unbonded pairs in Tetrabromoethylene. Carbon forms a double bond with the other Carbon and the Bromines hang off the Carbon to form a trigonal planar geometry with a sp2 hybridization. They are all covalent bonds.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 08:40:44 PM »
The structure is similar to ethene, ie. C2H4. There are 6 bonding pairs (C-H and C=C) and no non-bonding pairs because all valence electron in carbon areused for bonding, and all valence electrons in H are used up in bonding.

What about the case for Bromine in C2Br4?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:22:54 AM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 09:09:23 PM »
The compound C2Br4 (Tetrabromoethylene). The 2 and 4 together in the same compound are throwing me off. I know that it has 2 bonded pairs but what about unbonded pairs? I cannot remember what to do if there are two numbers in the same compound.  ???

The 2 means that there are two carbon atoms in the molecule and the 4 means that there are four bromine atoms in the molecule.  These numbers have nothing to do with the number of bonding pairs of electrons.

Try drawing a Lewis Structure of C2Br4 to figure out how many bonding pairs and lone (unbonded) pairs are in the molecule.

Sponsored Links