September 29, 2024, 01:32:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: photochemistry: Titanium dioxide  (Read 3577 times)

Offline malumunus

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
photochemistry: Titanium dioxide
« on: December 30, 2006, 08:45:35 PM »
Question 1: Is titanium dioxide a oxidating agent or reducing agents???
Q2: what can be added to titanium dioxide to make it oxidize or reduce in the presence of visible light; does nitrogen work?
Q3: can titanium dioxide+ nitrogen+visible light oxidize or reduce carbon???

Ps. If anyone has done a similar experiment before , please let me know of the materials, time and maybe procedure involved. Any help would be greatly appreciatted!!!Thanks! ;D

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: photochemistry: Titanium dioxide
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 09:09:41 PM »
This website is an indispensable tool.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline malumunus

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 09:32:02 PM »
Additions   to my recent post:
question:How well nitrogen work as an catalyst because i've done a lot of reasearch but couldn't find any information on it and that infomation is very important to the outcomes of the experiment.
If you know for certain that nothing will happen(dye will not be oxidized/reduced) when nitrogen is added to titanium dioxide and irradiated with visible light please let me know!

To people who have done a similar experiment before:
Do you know where I can get titanium dioxide (anatase) powder, liquid nitrogen( i'm going to be using the gas nitrogen from the liquid nitrogen), carbon-based dye???Also do you have any recommedations for what kind of light bulb i should use for the visible light source and what kind of light bulb/lamp i should use for the ultraviolet radiation source???

Help is greatly appreciatted!!! THANK YOU!

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 09:36:52 PM »
Try googling some variation of "Gratzel cell" or "dye sensitized solar cell."   ;)

Sponsored Links