September 28, 2024, 06:24:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry research project - ideas help  (Read 10546 times)

Offline bex

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry research project - ideas help
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:33:29 AM »
Hi

As part of my course I need do a research project and physically do an experiment. I am limited to 24 hours actual work time in the lab. The work I must do must be of A Level standard(UK). I am doing a MEng Chemical Enginner degree next year, so I wanted to do my project based around chemistry. My initial idea was to study different types of water and compare the chemical properties. After speaking to my tutor about this he has advised me not to go ahead with this idea as we do not have good enough equipment. So I am limited to what equipment I can use, we have just general equipment you would expect to find in a college lab. If anyone could help with any ideas that would be great or point me to a website that could help.

Thank you

Bex

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +211/-84
Re: Chemistry research project - ideas help
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:39:20 AM »
How about looking at the rate of a chemical reaction at different temperatures?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 12:48:46 PM »
My initial idea was to study different types of water and compare the chemical properties.

What exactly do you mean by that?

Like H2O, HOD, D2O etc..

Anyway, for my A level project I wanted to do a rate invesigation of a reaction in which an ionic compound precipitates out of solution, and monitor the rate by the change in electrical conductivity of the solution - however my teacher said this was fairly complicated, but I don't think it would be too tough. Instead we all did the effect of acid concentration on the rate of the reaction of Mg and acid, by monitoring the volume of hydrogen evolved over time. Very easy, but also boring.

Another good rate experiment is the iodine clock reaction, see http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/JCESoft/CCA/CCA3/MAIN/CLOCKRX/PAGE1.HTM
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline bex

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 01:54:19 PM »
I mean different types eg. bottled water, water from colwyn bay (northwales - where i go to college) and water from chester(where i live).

theres some nice ideas there dan cheers m8 :)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +224/-62

Sponsored Links