September 21, 2024, 01:25:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hybridization state of the nitrogen atoms in an amidine  (Read 9341 times)

Offline edwinksl

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Hybridization state of the nitrogen atoms in an amidine
« on: May 15, 2007, 02:24:09 AM »
Dear all,

I would like to ask there is any conjugation between the pi bond of the =NR2 group and the lone pair of N in -NR3R4. If yes, doesn't it mean these 2 nitrogen atoms are sp2 hybridised? An amide would be a suitable analogue, in which the nitrogen atom is sp2 hydridised so as to allow conjugation between its lone pair (in the p orbital) with the pi bond of the carbonyl group.

Thanks.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Hybridization state of the nitrogen atoms in an amidine
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:27:21 AM »
Just because it can hypothetically have conjugation doesn't mean it will. The number of pi electrons in that system would be 4, which is antiaromatic and most unlikely to occur.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline edwinksl

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 02:33:20 AM »
Just because it can hypothetically have conjugation doesn't mean it will. The number of pi electrons in that system would be 4, which is antiaromatic and most unlikely to occur.

Mitch,

How do you explain the conjugation in an amide then? The pi system there also has 4 electrons as well. The 4n antiaromatic rules only applies to monocyclic systems, and amides and amidines clearly are not cyclic, therefore you cannot say amides and amidines are antiaromatic.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 04:32:31 AM »
I don't see why you wouldn't have conjugation.  It seems reasonable to me to think that the tertiary amine would be sp2 hybridized.

[Edit: fixed tags]

Offline edwinksl

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 04:48:48 AM »
I don't see why you wouldn't have conjugation.  It seems reasonable to me to think that the tertiary amine would be sp2[/sub] hybridized.

I think so too. The catch is that my book (Clayden's; turn to page 202 if you have the book :)) says that the N at the tertiary amine is sp3 hybridized.

I guess I should reproduce the exact phrasing:

An amidine has 2 nitrogen atoms that could be protonated - one that is sp3 hybridized, the other sp2 hybridized. We might expect the sp3 nitrogen to be more basic but protonation occurs at the sp2 nitrogen atom. This happens because we have the situation as with an amide: only if we protonate on the sp2 nitrogen can the positive charge be delocalized over both nitrogens.

I agree the N at the =NR2 group has to be protonated in order to delocalize the positive charge. I only have a problem with the author claiming that the N at the tertiary amine is sp3 hybridized, when it should be sp2 hybridized if we agree there is conjugation in the amidine molecule.

Hmm, so who is right? Us (I would think so) or the book? Haha. Thanks Yggdrasil.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 04:58:45 AM »
I think that the fact that the =NR2 group is the more basic of the two is more evidence that there is conjugation.  It doesn't make sense (to me at least) how he can say that "the positive charge be delocalized over both nitrogens" but state that the tertiary amine is sp3 hybridized.

Offline edwinksl

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 05:02:31 AM »
I think that the fact that the =NR2 group is the more basic of the two is more evidence that there is conjugation.  It doesn't make sense (to me at least) how he can say that "the positive charge be delocalized over both nitrogens" but state that the tertiary amine is sp3 hybridized.

Indeed. Thanks anyway. I just needed to confirm my conjecture.

Sponsored Links