September 21, 2024, 01:41:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does Every Covalent Bond has an Ionic bond?  (Read 5112 times)

Offline doubt

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Does Every Covalent Bond has an Ionic bond?
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:26:08 AM »
my question is

Does Every Covalent Bond has an Ionic bond present in it?

please explain the answer briefly...whether its positive or negative

can you please explain it clearly with an example..

please?

please

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Does Every Covalent Bond has an Ionic bond?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »
my question is

Does Every Covalent Bond has an Ionic bond present in it?

please explain the answer briefly...whether its positive or negative

can you please explain it clearly with an example..

please?

please

I assume you mean does every covalent bond have some ionic character? In that case, IMO, no.

Covalent bonds can be divided into two main classes, heteroatomic, and homoatomic.

The former have two different atoms in the bond, and so as the two atoms have different electronegativities etc. they will have different abilities to attract the electrons in the bond, causing some charge separation eg C=O <-> +C-O- or similar.

In the same of homoatomic, the atoms are the same, and here the average charge distribution is equal on both atoms. There are resonance hybrids where the charge is more localised on one atom than the other - these would cancel each other out, though.

<edit to clarify a bit further>
Just because the two atoms are the same though, does not make the bond purely covalent. Everything on both sides of the bond must be the same, so in ethane, the C-C bond is probably more purely covalent than say in 1,1,1-trichloroethane, as the chlorines in the latter will affect the effective electronegativity of C1.

S
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 02:20:27 PM by sjb »

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:56:06 AM »
I don't understand.  I think you are confusing the difference between ionic bonding and covalent bonding.

Review what covalent and ionic bonding is, and how they differ.

Atoms participating in covalent bonds may have ionic character, and in in fact most nonmetals do have some kind of ionic character, in their respective transition states during a chemical reaction.  But in a transition state, the covalent bonds are not "full," in that they are partially formed or broken.  

As previously posted while I was writing this response, there is indeed always some ionic character in every covalent bond, save for diatomic species; alternatively, it can be said that ionic bonds have some covalent character.  There is no such thing as 100 % ionic character in an ionic bond.

Offline doubt

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 03:07:22 AM »
Thank you very very much....

so atlast i understood that in every covalent bond there is a small portion of ionic bond present..

is it that you meant?

If i'm correct or wrong...please inform me..

still i'm confused..

thank you

yes or no....

Offline MJA

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 04:55:39 AM »
Covalent bonding and Ionic bonding are completely different things. Covalent bonding is when the electrons are shared between 2 atoms and ionic bonding is when they 'trade' electrons to achieve a full or empty shell. Covalent bonding does not move electrons at all.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:03:41 AM »
Pauling introduced such a mathematical trick - percent of ionic bond depends on difference of electronegativities of bonding atoms. But this is a formal mathematical approach
AWK

Sponsored Links