October 18, 2024, 04:16:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Toxic Gas Emission of Materials  (Read 5804 times)

Offline rjames1984

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Toxic Gas Emission of Materials
« on: May 15, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »
Hey all, I'm new here and this is my first post, sorry if I'm breaking any conventions and whatnot. I was hoping some people could help me in finding sources for a problem I'm having, it's for my job. I have to find out what types and how much (in ppm) of the following toxic gases are emitted when a material (mostly composites) is burned:

HCN, HF, HCl, SO2, NOx

Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: Toxic Gas Emission of Materials
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:46:52 PM »
Hello rjames1984,

Its great to have a new member on-board!

One item that we like to suggest to new people is to read the Forum Rules (this is located at the top of this page). Also, its nice for us to see that you have completed some of the work on your own (we dont mind helping out, but we dont want to do all of the work for you... this way everyone learns)  :)

An answer to your question is to view the MSDS's for each product, and there is usually a list of degredation products on the MSDS.  Concentrations usually depend on the initial concentration of the product that you are starting out with...

I wish you the best,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 01:13:58 AM »
If you need European standards for Emission limit, consult the EU Directive on Integrated Prevention and Pollution Control (IPPC)
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline mbeychok

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-3
  • Chemical engineer
    • Air Pollution Dispersion Modeling
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 05:51:35 PM »
rjames1984:

It is impossible to give you any meaningful answer to your question about toxic gas emissions from burning "a material (mostly composites)".

That question simply cannot be answered until you tell us specifically what material and its chemical composition.
Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Sponsored Links