September 28, 2024, 04:15:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need brushing up  (Read 4518 times)

Offline heartrn

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need brushing up
« on: September 02, 2007, 03:11:46 PM »
Folks, I'm having to drop my organic class. I'm not a chem major, nor a chem junkie. I just need organic to further my career, and it's the last course that I need. I have aced everything else, and graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BSN, so I'm not entirely stoopid!!!
My instructor is new to teaching. He got the call two weeks before the semester began. His lecture is directly out of the book. Examples are the same one's given in the book. His English is very poor (Chinese). This is the only organic class offered in the area, and he is the only instructor. I'm not catching on to the concepts because of the lack of understanding what he's saying. I work full time and raise a family full time, so playing catch-up at this time is becoming futile.
What I'm planning on doing is reading the text and supplimenting the material with online sites to help me understand and get my thought processes right in order to grasp the concepts and better prepare myself to take the course next spring. Hopefully, his English will improve by then, and my basic understanding of chemistry will come back to me.
What I am asking for is; some good links to sites that will suppliment my textbook readings, possibly some software that will help with understanding the building blocks etc. I guess I'm looking for Organic Chemistry for Dummies. I have never had to walk away from a course before, but know that to continue will be futile. I'm already too far behind and its only the second week.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Need brushing up
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 03:30:38 PM »
You could take a look at some of these http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?module=Links;id=7 (from the links section of this site).
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline heartrn

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 06:45:09 PM »
thanks dan, one of the first sites that i visited had a great section on alkanes, and in that section covered, on one pages, several different concepts in an organized layout. That one page made more sense in five minutes than did the textbook after two hours of re reading. Since he is teaching verbatum out of the textbook, I plan on doing the same on my own with the links that you folks may lead me to. Do any other of you miind checking my progress when I come back with specific questions that I may not be grasping?
Thanks,
Joe

Offline Fry

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 11:58:12 PM »

Offline heartrn

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Great link Fry, this follows my textbook almost to a tee.
Joe

Offline lavoisier

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-3
  • El sueño de la razón produce monstruos
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
These two are not bad (sorry if they were already mentioned):

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/intro1.htm#contnt

and

http://www.organic-chemistry.org/

Sponsored Links