September 28, 2024, 01:25:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermochemistry Problem  (Read 2867 times)

Offline The Tao

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Chemistry BS Student
Thermochemistry Problem
« on: September 23, 2007, 01:15:12 AM »
This is a relatively simple chemistry problem, but I am just learning this stuff and I don't understand how to approach this problem.

165 ml of water at 22C is mixed with 85ml of water at 90C, whats the final temp?

I'm aware of specific temperatures, and heat capacity, but I simply do not understand how to approach this problem. I'm also aware that the heat lost is equal to the heat gained, and that the colder water will raise in temp, while the hotter water will lower in temp until they're in equilibrium, but I don't understand how to actually apply that numerically. All of the other problems like this stated the final temperature, and then would ask us to find the weight of one of the two, or perhaps the heat lost.

I was able to get the anwser just by messing around with the numbers, and then trying to backtrack into a solution, but I still don't "understand" what's actually happening in my work.

I know the policy here is that you won't simply give anwsers away without some effort put into the problem by the author. I've sat here for hours trying to figure out this problem. I've read through the book and it's simply not clear enough.

If you could point out something I should look at or anything I would be happy.
"The universe is built on a plan of profound symmetry of which is somehow present in the inner structure of our intellect."

Offline Sev

• Mole Snacks: +43/-6
Re: Thermochemistry Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:36:10 AM »
yes, heat lost = heat gained
so m.C.dt = m.C.dt

165(T-22) = 85(90-T)  [C cancels].
Solve the equation for T(equilibrium temp.)

Offline The Tao

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Chemistry BS Student
Re: Thermochemistry Problem
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 01:42:17 AM »
Yeah ok.

But isn't it:

-(m.C.dt)=m.C.dt

and then isn't dt:

(22+t) ? why (T-22)?

Or did I just anwser my own question with the first?...yes..lol
"The universe is built on a plan of profound symmetry of which is somehow present in the inner structure of our intellect."

Sponsored Links