September 22, 2024, 08:19:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extraction problem  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Serenagreene

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Extraction problem
« on: November 04, 2007, 04:49:42 PM »
I'm trying to do an extraction.  I have 3 unknown organic compounds.  The first step I do (after adding an organic solvent) is to add dd H2O and I have one compound stays in the water, which is good, but what is bad is that I can't figure how to get it out of the water.  The instructions that I was using suggested letting the water evaporate, well that was a bad idea because the compound evaporate before the water did...  What would be the best way to get it out of the water?  Should I try to distill it or is there another better way?

Thanks

-Serena

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Re: Extraction problem
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:10:12 PM »
Saturate the water with sodium chloride and back extract so that the organic will go into ether or methylene chloride.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline barcrphd

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
  • i am a molecule
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »
because the compound evaporate before the water did...  What would be the best way to get it out of the water?  Should I try to distill it or is there another better way?
your compound evaporates before water means it should have a lower boiling point. in that case distillation is the best option. why not try it and see..

Offline Serenagreene

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:36:41 PM »
Thanks, this helped a lot.  I talked to my instructor and she told me that salting out was the usual procedure.  So I salted it out and extracted it into ethyl acetate, which turns out was not such a hot idea because there isn't a 10 degree seperation between it and my unknown (I have 3 unknowns mixed together).  Sigh, so on Friday I will attempt a Fractional distillation.  With the rest of my unknown mixture I will leave it in the water and do a simple distillation.

-Serena

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:31:28 PM »
Thanks, this helped a lot.  I talked to my instructor and she told me that salting out was the usual procedure.  So I salted it out and extracted it into ethyl acetate, which turns out was not such a hot idea because there isn't a 10 degree seperation between it and my unknown (I have 3 unknowns mixed together).  Sigh, so on Friday I will attempt a Fractional distillation.  With the rest of my unknown mixture I will leave it in the water and do a simple distillation.

-Serena

How many compounds do you have that are water soluble?  If one, then salt it out and extract into pure organic solvent, then evaporate.  Then you should have a pure compound.  Ask more questions if you don't understand.  Fractional distillation is a waste of time and is very inefficient if you can figure out an extraction.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline Shazza2008

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »
Could you add salt, then extract into dichloromethane or diethyl ether (low boiling points). You could then Dufton distil off most of the solvent then pump off the remainder on a vacuum manifold at say minus 40 deg C.

Hope this helps

Shaz

Offline venkatjohnny

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:23:16 AM »
Hi serena,
u said that your compound was water soluble, it may be a salt!!!! if it so , u can add acid or base(depends up on your compound nature) to break the salt and then u can extract with the organic solvent. Give last preference to Fractional distillation ... good luck

Sponsored Links