September 28, 2024, 03:21:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Efflorescent substance? *delete me*  (Read 3962 times)

Offline inspiration100

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Efflorescent substance? *delete me*
« on: November 20, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »
If I have an efflorescent substance and i've calculated the theoretical molarity and the actual molarity, would I expect the theoretical molarity to be higher or lower than the actual molarity?

My GUESS, (which is about as good as nothing), would be that the theoretical molarity should be lower than the actual molarity? ;)

*delete me*
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 09:56:00 PM by inspiration100 »

Offline inspiration100

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Efflorescent substance? *delete me*
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 09:52:40 PM »
why does my thing say *delete me* above it?  ???  If it's because I wasn't descriptive enough in my first post as to why I came to that conclusion, here goes it...

My guess is that it is artificially high because the crystalized waters are lost which makes less crystals to form water.  But this is as good of explanation as I can come up with.  Would a "loss of waters of crystallization" make less of the substance to bond?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Efflorescent substance? *delete me*
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:45:33 AM »
What do you mean by "molarity of efflorescent substance"? Perhaps my English fails me, but efflorescent substance is solid - and molarity refers to solution.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links