September 28, 2024, 11:27:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ion Product of Water  (Read 8060 times)

Edher

Ion Product of Water
« on: February 17, 2005, 04:49:22 PM »
Saludos,

Why is it that the "Ion Product of Water" is deducted by multiplying the hydronium concentrarion times the hydroxide concentration?

Kw = [H30+] [OH-] = 1.0 x 10^-14 (1.0E-14)

Wouldn't it make more sense to ADD the concentrarions to determine the amount of ions present?

Thank You,
Edher

Edher

Re:Ion Product of Water
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 01:30:41 AM »
Maybe I should give a different example,

In the reaction

CO(g) + 2H2 <--> CH30H(g)

[CH3OH] = 14.5
[CO][H2]^2

Why are the concentrations of the reactants multiplied rather than added to find the rate of the reaction?

To me, adding would make more sense because one would actually be adding the number of ions of a certain molecule with those of another molecule thus, that would yield the net number of ions of reactants.

Edher

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »
for an aqueous system in equilibrium,
A  <-> C + D
k = [C][D]/[A]

given that any changes in value of [A] is neligible, then [A] can be regarded as a constant, hence [C][D] = k[A] = constant

For aqueous system, A refers to water, C refers to H+ and D refers to OH-. The concentration of water molecules hardly changes in an aqueus system, hence k[A] refers to the ionic product of water.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

dexangeles

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 02:06:31 AM »
I'm trying to remember my General Chemistry here but I believe the equation you are using is for the reaction quotient (Q)

aA + cC <----> dD  eE

Q= [D]d[E]e
     [A]a[C]c

and when the reaction is in equilibrium, Q = k (equilibrium constant)

the rate of reaction deals with change in concentration per unit time
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 02:09:31 AM by DA »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 06:00:06 PM »
my point is:
if the denominator is a constant, then there's no point expressing the reaction quotient as a fraction, and we can simplify the fraction expression to a product of two variables: [H+] & [OH-]
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 06:43:16 PM »
Why is it that the "Ion Product of Water" is deducted by multiplying the hydronium concentrarion times the hydroxide concentration?

Kw = [H30+] [OH-] = 1.0 x 10^-14 (1.0E-14)

Wouldn't it make more sense to ADD the concentrarions to determine the amount of ions present?

If you want to calculate total concentration of ions in water, just add their concentrations. But that's not the point with ion product of water - as the product [H30+] [OH-] is constant for a given temperature it allows you to calculate concentration of other ions if you know concentration of the first one. Sum [H30+] +[OH-] has value of 1M fo pH = 0, 2*10^-7M for pH = 7 and 1M again for pH = 14.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Retro

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:36:25 AM »
This is nothing but an equilibrium case:
2H2O <-> HO- + H3O+
Now the ionic produc of water  is the equilibrium constante at the system temperature, therefore:
 kw = [HO-][H3O+]
The [H2O] isn't in the constant expression because it is in liquid state, so it doesn't affect the equilibrium.

Sponsored Links