September 22, 2024, 06:39:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Eutectic Freezing  (Read 10237 times)

Offline ifuller

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Eutectic Freezing
« on: January 11, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew any general information about Eutectic Freezing. Are there any sites that might give information on how someone could do this in their house or lab? Thanks alot.

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
Re: Eutectic Freezing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 12:45:33 AM »
A eutectic or eutectic mixture is a mixture at such proportions that the melting point is as low as possible, and that furthermore all the constituents crystallize simultaneously at this temperature from molten liquid solution. Such a simultaneous crystallization of a eutectic mixture is known as a eutectic reaction, the temperature at which it takes place is the eutectic temperature, and the composition and temperature at which it takes place is called the eutectic point.

See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutectic

Site Eutectic Freeze:  http://www.eutecticfreezecrystallisation.info/

Looks like this is done in a lab...

What is your purpose?  Seem to be multiple applications.

Attaching a pdf....for one application...the link above is another

Offline ifuller

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 01:12:16 AM »
Hey, Thanks for the info. I actually read about an experiment in Discover Magizine where this process of freezing was used to cause amino acids to form from chemicals such as cyanide and ammonia. The article said that the chemicals were forced into high concentrations at high pressures as the water around them froze. I was wondering if this process could be used for other applications. Such as maybe a different way to react chemicals that would normally require high heats. Just a random thought I know but thanks for the info and if anyone else wants to comment please feel free.

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 01:20:59 AM »
AHHH OK got to your browsre and type in Eutecti freezing aapplications...you should get a few hits...including work done on biodiesel production...

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 02:37:38 AM »
I wondered if you had gotten the thought from the discover magazine when I read your post.  I just read that story as well, it was a very interesting article.

Offline ifuller

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »
Haha,
Yea it was

Sponsored Links