September 19, 2024, 12:40:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enthalpy  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Skiznibbler

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
Enthalpy
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:10:52 PM »
The concept of enthalpy is killing me. From what I read enthalpy is the useful energy obtained from a closed system. What the hell does that even mean? What is "useful" energy?

Lets say I apply 10 megajoules of energy to closed mechanical system. Lets say it takes 6 megajoules to turn a turbine in the system. I have 4 megajoules left over. First of all the whole 10 megajoules is useful work isn't it or is it only the 6 megajoules that turns the turbine that is considered to be useful work? Therefore what wn'ould the enthalpy of this system be?

I haven't studied thermodynamics at all but this enthalpy word keeps popping up in chemistry and its driving me insane. I need to figure out what the hell it means.

A better example would be enthalpy of a chemical system. I know what enthalpy change is. Its just the change in energy during a chemical reaction.

Does enthalpy just mean the potential energy of the molecule? In an endothermic reaction for example the products will have more energy than the reactants. There was a positive enthalpy change. The products are now stable. Is this energy the product possess stored in the form of chemical bonds? How does enthalpy tie into this?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:23:22 PM by Skiznibbler »

Sponsored Links