September 28, 2024, 01:28:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Few questions regarding electrolysis  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Munfred

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Few questions regarding electrolysis
« on: April 25, 2008, 07:09:16 PM »
Hi

Last class my teacher started talking about electrolysis, the first example was the classical electrolysis of a solution of NaCl in water. To explain how we'd find out the products she went trough a long process involving ions and OH- and metals that were more reactive and less reactive than hydrogen...or something like that. Well in the end she concluded we'd obtain NaOH in the solution and H2 and Cl2 at the electrodes.
I then asked her 'but teacher, wouldn't it be simpler if I imagined the electrolysis of molten NaCl obtaining  pure Na and Cl2 and then though like this: Does Cl2 reacts with water? No, then I'd obtain Cl2. Does Na reacts with water? Well, then what we get? 2 Na + 2 H2O -> 2 H2 + 2 NaOH, therefore we'd obtain H2 and NaOH at the other electrode. She got a little puzzled with this methoed and we tried it with other reactions, with AgNO3 the product would be Ag +NO3 since none of them reacts with water. Then with a solution of ZnSO4 I concluded we'd obtain Zn at one electrode and either SO2 or SO3 and O2 at the other electrode...and realized the SO3 (if it was SO2 it could react with he O2 anyway) would form...H2SO4 in the solution, which would then react with the Zn forming...H2 and ZnSO4! And after that I realized the ZnSO4 would be just a catalyst! Well I know it may not look like much but I kinda concluded that without prior basis, I mean I had no idea that it would be a catalyst until I concluded the   
electrolysis would only be yielding O2 and H2

If anyone could tell me if this was merely a lucky coincidence, or if its in fact another way of seeing the same thing (since for the 'common' method I'd need to have that table of things that react or not with the hydrogen and with 'my' method I'd need to know if the product reacts or no with water, it does look pretty much like 2 ways of seeing the same thing)

Well thanks for your Patience reading all this and... oh I almost forgot...the teacher said that in electrolysis of water we'd had H+ and OH- at the electrodes...and well its quite easy to see that they'd pair up to form H2 and H2O and O2...well, could anyone explain me why OH- forms water and oxygen instead of H2O2 (which would be pretty nice considering it's properties ;p)

Once more thanks for reading all this and any answers will be greatly appreciated!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Few questions regarding electrolysis
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 03:22:37 AM »
its in fact another way of seeing the same thing (since for the 'common' method I'd need to have that table of things that react or not with the hydrogen and with 'my' method I'd need to know if the product reacts or no with water, it does look pretty much like 2 ways of seeing the same thing)

In a way it is another way of seeing the same thing. But: your method requires reactivity series, just like her method, so it in fact boils down to the same... And in reality there is NO sodium metal that later reacts with water. But this is a nice what-if scenario that helps find out why sodium can't be product.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 12:27:14 PM »
Hi
<< cut >>

Well thanks for your Patience reading all this and... oh I almost forgot...the teacher said that in electrolysis of water we'd had H+ and OH- at the electrodes...and well its quite easy to see that they'd pair up to form H2 and H2O and O2...well, could anyone explain me why OH- forms water and oxygen instead of H2O2 

Think about the charge on H+ and OH- and what that means in terms of attraction and bonding to form H2O

Then think about the charge on OH- and OH- and what that means in terms of attraction and bonding to form H2O2

What do you conclude?

Note: I have read that in aqueous solution, H+ is "carried around" on a water molecule as the H3O+ ion. The reason, I believe, is due to the fantastically high charge density of a single proton and the available lone pairs of electrons on the oxygen in a water molecule to which the proton can bond. How one demonstrates the existence of H3O+ ion I do not know.

Clive

Offline Munfred

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:42:07 PM »
oh thanks for the answers!

yeah makes sense ;p

Sponsored Links