September 28, 2024, 04:21:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Methods of replacing -OH with halogen that don't effect carbonyl?  (Read 5338 times)

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
I'm curious about ways to replace a hydroxyl group with a halogen that don't effect a carbonyl group.  Here are my possibilities, although other suggestions are welcome:

1) acid catalyzed (HI, HBr etc)  I know this won't work because X2 adds electrophilically to the conjugate acid produced by protonation of the ketone. 

2) PBr3, PCl3 etc.  I'm not sure about this one.  Could the catalyst or the halide ion interact with the carbonyl group?

3)  Tosyl chloride.  Also not sure about this one.  Same general issues as PX3.

Edit: I know I could just protect the carbonyl with an acetal, but I'm curious of ways to avoid that
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 03:38:24 PM by spirochete »

Offline zq

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
    • pmgb
Re: Methods of replacing -OH with halogen that don't effect carbonyl?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »
I would use 48% aqueous HBr to make the transformation (OH to Br). I think this will not affect carbonyl. I have used it in the presence of an amide. For a prep go to pmgb.wordpress.com.

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-7
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 03:06:39 AM »
as long as your carbonyl is not a carboxylic acid, you can use thionyl chloride (SOCl2) to replace an alcohol with a halogen (chlorine).  you can also used triphenyl phosphine, I2 and a weak proton sponge (triethyl amine or pryridine) to do the trick.

Offline venkatjohnny

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 07:31:48 AM »
hi,
for replacing OH group by Halo( ex:Cl)group, u can confidently use SOCl2, Oxalyl chloride, POCl3 or Isocyanuryl chloride. These are the efficient reagents suitable for the replacing OH group as per my knowledge. Among these SOCl2 is the better choice coz work up is very easy due to the formation of gaseous by products ( SO2, HCl).. have a nice time.. :)

Offline vhpk

• Mole Snacks: +12/-25
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »
I think to replace hydroxyl group without affecting carbonyl group, you should change carbonyl group to acetal.
Ex: CH3CHO + CH3OH --(HCl)--> CH3CH(OH)OCH3.
After that, you can do whatever you want because acetal group is passive in reactions, when finishing, you hydrolyzed in acidic solution to regenerate carbonyl group, I think this is important because:
CH3CHO + PCl5 --> CH3CHCl2 + POCl3
Genius is a long patience

Sponsored Links