September 28, 2024, 11:33:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: carbon nanotubes:the billnotgatez ethanol to butanol solution?  (Read 2774 times)

Offline tasmodevil44

• Mole Snacks: +6/-11
Some  time  ago, billnotgatez  was  trying  to  solve  a  problem  of how  to  combine  two  ethanols  by  dehydration  into  a  butanol at  room  temperature. The  problem  seemed  hopelessly intractabe, to  say  the  least.

Here  recently, I read  some  info  about  research  by Professor  Gabriele  Centi  from  the  University  of  Messina  in Italy. It involves  binding  carbon  atoms  together  into hydrocarbon  chains  of  up  to  eight  or  nine  carbon  atoms  long using  platinum  and  palladium  catalysts  inside  carbon  nanotubes. The  process  has  one  percent  efficiency  at  room  temperature. But this  is already  two  to  three  times  greater  efficiency  than  any  other  industrial  process.

I  was  wondering   if  this  method  of  catalysis (or  something  similar) could  potentially  synthesize  butanol  and  other  larger  hydrocarbons  such  as  gasoline  from  simple  alcohols  like methanol  and  ethanol...at  room  temperature  as  well. Although  the  reaction  rates  would  be  somewhat  slow.

I've  noticed  that  some  people  here  in  these  forums  are  not  very  informed  or  "up-to-date" on  all the  developments  taking  place  in  the  field  of  microwave  catalyzed  reactions  these  days. Overall  energy  transferrence  is  indeed  a  more  important  factor  for  specific  molecules  at  specific  frequencies  than  threshold  energy  of  individual  photon  quanta  as  expressed  by  the  formula  E = hv. Man-made  radio  waves  are  radically  different  from  most  natural  electromagnetic  energy. It  is  all  one  great  big  seamless  wave  of  energy  and  has  nothing  to do  with  individual  photon  quanta...rendering  false  interpretation  of  physical  science  and  quantum  dogma  surrounding  E = hv  unconsequential and  totally  useless  for  man-made  radio  waves. In  fact, the  good  ol'  fashioned  Newtonian  model  better  explains  man-made  radio  phenomena.

Which  brings  me  to  the  next  possible  idea: almost  all  molecules  and  chemical  substances  have  a  so-called  specific  "radio  resonance"  frequency. If  the  right  compatible  frequencies  can  be  found  for  these  platinum  and  palladium  catalysts  inside  carbon  nanotubes...then  the  reaction  rates  of  simple  alcohols  into  larger  molecules  of  butanol  and  gasoline  may  be  greatly  accelerated...at  temperatures  just  slightly  higher  than  room  temperature ( because  some  amount  of  thermal  transfer  will  still  take  place  in  addition  to  reactions...even  at  ideal  frequency  applied).

I  would  like  to  see  Professor  Gabriele  Centi  or  some  other  researcher  try  performing  this  experiment  in  the  near  future  to  see  how  well  this  method  of  ethanol  dehydration dimerisation  is  capable  of  working. It  might  not  be  workable  if  the  radio  energy  applied  also  does  some  sort  of  reactive  damage  to  the  carbon  nanotube  structures  as  well. This  will  require  experimentation  with  highly  selective  frequencies  to  determine  what  works  best  and  to  try  and  prevent  this  from  happening. I  also  hope  that  billnotgatez  reads  this  and  finds  it  to  be  of  some  interest.     

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +224/-62
Re: carbon nanotubes:the billnotgatez ethanol to butanol solution?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 10:28:53 PM »
Thank you very much

Sponsored Links