September 21, 2024, 01:42:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Puzzling densities and volume %  (Read 3520 times)

Offline susan__t

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Puzzling densities and volume %
« on: September 27, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
The question is as follows
If the acetic acid content of vinegar is measured as 1.00mol/L, what weight of acetic acid would be in 1.00 liter of the vinegar solution?  Assume that  densities of acetic acid, water, and vinegar are all the same at 1.00g/mL.  What is the percent by volume of acetic acid in vinegar?

The first part of the question seemed alright for me, the weight of the acetic acid would be its molar mass of 60.05g (chemical formula of CH3COOH) since 1 liter is one mol and one mol of acetic acid is 60.05 g, which is its weight.

But then the second part tells me that the density of acetic acid is 1.00g/mL, so does that mean that the density of the first one has been cancelled out?  and if its asking me the volume percent which volume do I use? 1 liter or 1mL? 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1807/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Puzzling densities and volume %
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »
If the density of solution is 1 g/mL, what is weight of the 1L of the solution?

Now, you know it contains 60.05 g of acetic acid. Assuming it has a density of 1 g/mL - what is its volume?

Then, what is the definition of percentage volume?

Finally, this question is wrong from the very beginning to the very end, as none of the densities listed is 1 g/mL and you should never assume that volume of the mixture equals sum of volumes of liquids mixed. But that's not your fault.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline susan__t

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 03:35:05 PM »
Okay that's helping, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the densities of the acetic acid and the vinegar.

I've determined that the volume of the acetic acid would be 60.05mL and the density 60.05g/mol and the solution (the vinegar) has a volume of 1L but a density of 0.0001g/L.  I do not understand how the density of the solution that the acetic acid is in is less than that of the acetic acid.  Its likely that I have made a mistake in my calculation with that being the idea.

Good news about what I have figured out is that now I can find the volume percent by deviding the volume of the solute in mL by the volume of the solution in mL, which gave me 6.005%. 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1807/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
I've determined that the volume of the acetic acid would be 60.05mL

OK

and the density 60.05g/mol

g/mol is a molar mass, not density.

and the solution (the vinegar) has a volume of 1L but a density of 0.0001g/L.

OK for volume, completely off dor density. Besides, you were told that densities of ALL solutions are 1g/mL, so no idea what you are trying to calculate.

Good news about what I have figured out is that now I can find the volume percent by deviding the volume of the solute in mL by the volume of the solution in mL, which gave me 6.005%.

And that's the answer your teacher wants.

Not necesarillly the correct one.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links