September 23, 2024, 10:34:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Drying Cupric Acetate Monohydrate  (Read 7941 times)

Offline Cutch145

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Drying Cupric Acetate Monohydrate
« on: July 13, 2009, 01:08:09 PM »
Hello everybody.  I'm new to the forum world but if this site is used by PhD students, Wow, truly a great resource.

Well here it is,  I'm a organic PhD student in California and I'm trying to pull this one reaction off.  The reaction requires anhydrous Cu(OAc)2.  I have over a pound of the monohydrate.  How may I go about drying the reagent. 

I'm familiar with the drying gun/Phosphorus pentaoxide method but we don't have the required apparatus.  I was thinking of putting under high vac and keeping it in a ~100 C oil bath. 

What do the inorganic chemists think?  Thanks!

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
Re: Drying Cupric Acetate Monohydrate
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:33:51 AM »
Hello everybody.  I'm new to the forum world but if this site is used by PhD students, Wow, truly a great resource.

Well here it is,  I'm a organic PhD student in California and I'm trying to pull this one reaction off.  The reaction requires anhydrous Cu(OAc)2.  I have over a pound of the monohydrate.  How may I go about drying the reagent. 

I'm familiar with the drying gun/Phosphorus pentaoxide method but we don't have the required apparatus.  I was thinking of putting under high vac and keeping it in a ~100 C oil bath. 

What do the inorganic chemists think?  Thanks!
Wikipedia agrees with your idea, but you probably already know it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_acetate.
Another possible method is to use concentrated H2SO4 and a drying jar.
An imaginative idea: to use acetic anydride.

Offline Fleaker

• Mole Snacks: +11/-0
  • Synthetic Chemist
Re: Drying Cupric Acetate Monohydrate
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 05:31:38 PM »
Actually, Ac2O is par for the course when it comes to drying many inorganic acetates.

You could also heat it with toluene in a reduced pressure distillation, the azeotrope with water will dry the material quite nicely.

H2SO4 works, but P2O5 rocks!
Neither flask nor beaker.

Sponsored Links