September 29, 2024, 01:30:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iron(II) oxide reduced by CO  (Read 4902 times)

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Iron(II) oxide reduced by CO
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »
Here is the exercise; I'd like to check my answer with you (and to receive some help, if possible, on the part of the problem I didn't manage to solve ;D):

– • –

FeO(g) is reduces to Fe(s) treating it with CO(g), according to the following equation:

Knowing that at T temperature the equilibrium constant of the reaction is 5, calculate the volume of CO needed to produce 100kg of Fe(s) , working at T=400 K

[M(Fe)=55.8]

– • –

As the equilibrium is heterogeneous I write Keq without including solid species involved (I suppose that the reaction occurs in a closed environment with a fixed volume):

Now, x must be equal to number of moles of iron produced so i can calculate the number of moles of COg needed:

Now I don't know how to get the volume needed starting from this, I tried using the Kp but the only thing I found out is this:

Have you got any ideas?
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Iron(II) oxide reduced by CO
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »
How many moles of CO2 were produced?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:27:16 PM »
If you assume the reaction is at atmospheric pressure then maybe you can use PV=nRT? Using this approach, you could solve for V = nRT/P. For beginning chem at least this seems like a decent way to go about things.

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:40:54 AM »
How many moles of CO2 were produced?

I think that they're equal to the numebr of moles of Fe(s), so 1790.6. But this in fact doesn't make sense with the last equation... If I work with molar fractions I get:

$$ K_{eq}= \frac{{\left[{CO_{2(g)}} \right]}}{{\left[{CO_{(g)}} \right]}}= \frac{x}{{1-x}}=5 /$$
$$ x_{CO_2 }= \frac{5}{6}\;x_{CO_{(g)} }= \frac{1}{6} /$$

And this should be right (using molar fractions I don't care about volume).

If you assume the reaction is at atmospheric pressure then maybe you can use PV=nRT? Using this approach, you could solve for V = nRT/P. For beginning chem at least this seems like a decent way to go about things.

I thought about that too, but I'm not sure. Is there a way to find out the volume needed without asuming any of the values required?
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 03:20:35 AM »
I was editing my previous post, got distracted and I see now that I have not posted what I originally intended to do. Sorry about that.

No idea why you think number of moles of CO2 is incorrect - it is perfectly right  ;D

Your calculation of initial number of moles of CO is correct - all you need now is an assumption about the pressure. You can't avoid it.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:56:01 AM »
Yeah, I got confused looking at the last equation written:

I was in a hurry before going to school and I didn't think that nCO(g) was the number of moles at the equilibrium and not the starting number of moles, so I found a contradiction between the first and last equation written...

Anyway I'm happy to hear that more data is needed to calculate volume, that's just what puzzled me  ;D

Thank you all for you help

Sponsored Links