September 23, 2024, 02:32:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Storing acetaminophen and 4-aminphenol (and other questions on them)  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Athiril

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
I use acetaminophen (paracetamol) to form 4-aminophenol with hydrolysis to make film developer.

I usually use cheap tablets from the super market (I dont think you can get paracetamol powder in Australia without filler) and dissolve them in methylated spirits and put it through a filter to get the filler out.

So I was wondering which form would be better to store as powder after boiling the liquid off - acetaminophen or 4-aminophenol? (in terms of shelf life/longetivity)

As I would like to completely distill the methylated spirits using a lab still to recapture it so I can reuse it for the same purpose.

I had an accident once with a glass jar cracking, and the solution of methylated spirits and filtered acetaminophen combusting, in which the solution started to turn pink - what has happened here?

Which made me curious and I started adding as much water as methylated spirits (50:50 mix) to the solution adding sodium hydroxide to convert the acetaminophen, and then started burning the solution with a lighter to burn off the spirits out of curiousity.

After it started cooling - it would go gelatinous on the top - though it doesnt appear to descrease its power as a film developer - I was wondering what happens there as well?

Sponsored Links