September 28, 2024, 10:18:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help please on names of molecular/electron pair geometry  (Read 4229 times)

Offline sam12103

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help please on names of molecular/electron pair geometry
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:58:45 PM »

I was working on a problem and it asks to me find the electron pair geometry and molecular geometry around the central atom of NO3^-

I did draw the Lewis diagram, and the answer in the back says that its Electron pair geometry is a trigonal planar, and its molecular geometry is a bent or angular, but it does not really making sense to me
There is a double bond between one of O’s to the (central) N (the N has a lone pair), then a single bond to the other O
At first I thought that it would be a 
Electron pair geometry: Trigonal pyramidal because (it’s characteristic is it has 3 bond pairs, and 1 lone pair)
Molecular geometry:  Trigonal pyramidal, same thing with this one (since in molecular the lone pair is disregarded, there will only be three bonding pairs)

Can someone please explain to me why the answer is?
Electron pair geometry: trigonal planar
Molecular Geometry: bent, or angular

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Help please on names of molecular/electron pair geometry
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:11:31 PM »
Which ion are you dealing with? Your initial text says NO3-, but then you only make reference to two oxygens.

There is a double bond between one of O’s to the (central) N (the N has a lone pair), then a single bond to the other O

so I'm a little confused here.

Offline ImNotQ...

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Help please on names of molecular/electron pair geometry
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:00:51 PM »
The problem is resonance. There is & there isn't a double bond in the formula. Due to resonance all the bonds are hybrids of single & double.
Trigonal planar & bent; three O surround the N-which has no lone pair. 24 electrons in total. 3 hybrid bond lengths. And a high five.
=)

Sponsored Links