September 20, 2024, 02:28:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fire Damage, High heat, Effects on bottle on Cognac  (Read 3589 times)

Offline cjudd

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Fire Damage, High heat, Effects on bottle on Cognac
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:02:51 PM »
A friend of mine just had a house fire and they told him not to drink anything of eat anything in the house because of the smoke damage.  Well he has a few $250 bottles of cognac and I was wondering what smoke damage and heat could do to a bottle of alcohol. The bottles are unopened and most were in a box.  The boxed were not charred and the bottles has a slight smell of smoke. It appears the level has dropped in the bottle when compared to pictures online (I assume the alcohol began to evaporate). For any Cognac enthusiasts out there it is Meukow V.R.X.O. NPU bottled in 1991. I understand this question is a bit unorthodox but a chemistry forum seemed like the right place to ask. I assume the insurance company was just playing it safe by telling him it could be harmful what do you guys think?

Any input would be appreciated it just seems like such a waste to throw out a nice bottle.

Chris

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
Re: Fire Damage, High heat, Effects on bottle on Cognac
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:11:49 PM »
If the boxes are uncharred, you are probably good to go.  Cognac is distilled (ie it does not die from a bit of heat) anyway, so no worries.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1806/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Fire Damage, High heat, Effects on bottle on Cognac
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 07:13:40 PM »
I would have no problems trying - many alcohols may lose smell/taste after heating, but I doubt they can get dangerous.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links