September 21, 2024, 01:25:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Energy of Red Light?  (Read 12258 times)

Offline CamiGurlRox

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Energy of Red Light?
« on: December 01, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »
Would someone mind walking me through the steps of this? I'm really confused. >.<

The energy of a mole of photons of red light from a laser is 175 kJ/mol.  Calculate the energy of one photon of red light.  What is the wavelength of red light in meters?  In nm?  Compare the energy of photons of violet light with those of red light.  Which is more energetic and by what factor?

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
Re: Energy of Red Light?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 03:53:54 PM »
Could you give your line of thinking so I can help guide you?? I think you can solve some of these quite easily using basic math and/or simple equations you've learned in class.
For the very first question, do you remember what a mole is and how to use it? You've stated that there are 175 kJ of energy per mole of photons. So how much energy is there for 1 photon? What if I said I had 24 hotdogs per dozen buns. How many hotdogs would there be for 1 bun? A dozen is always 12 so therefore we have 12 buns. Then, if we have 24 hotdogs and 12 buns, then there's 2 hotdogs per 1 bun. The concept of a mole is the same as the concept of a dozen. You should be able to apply this idea to the first question.
For your second question, can you remember (or if not, can you look it up) a very simple equation that directly relates energy and wavelength??

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
What equations do you know about the energy of photons?

Clive

Offline CamiGurlRox

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 06:27:10 PM »
Um, sure...I know that E=hv, and that c=(lambda)(v)

Sorry I'm not that much help. >.<  I'm confused myself.

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
Ok so if you know the energy (you list it in your problem), and h is Planck's constant (so you can look up that number), then you can solve for the frequency. Then take the frequency and the speed of light (another constant you can look up) and solve for lambda.

Offline ajri02

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 02:54:25 AM »
Would someone mind walking me through the steps of this? I'm really confused. >.<

The energy of a mole of photons of red light from a laser is 175 kJ/mol.  Calculate the energy of one photon of red light.  What is the wavelength of red light in meters?  In nm?  Compare the energy of photons of violet light with those of red light.  Which is more energetic and by what factor?

Determine the energy of a single photon of this light in Joules
2.91 x 10-19J

Use the energy equation to determine the wavelength
E = hc/
2.91 x 10-19 = 1.99x10-25/
= 6.84 x 10-7 m
 = 684 nm

Offline CamiGurlRox

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »
Thanks for the reply! :3  Although I can't see your symbols.  I'm sure I can figure it out.  I'll post my answer once I get through everything. :D

Sponsored Links