September 28, 2024, 03:28:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iodination of Acetone (Initial concentration help)  (Read 10375 times)

Offline darkryder341

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Iodination of Acetone (Initial concentration help)
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:28:17 AM »
Hey guys,

I just have a quick question involving a lab I did on the iodination of acetone. I feel dumb for asking, since it's probably very simple, but I was wondering how I would go about finding the initial concentrations of acetone, I2 and H+ ion of the mixtures? If I knew how to figure it out I would show my work...

For example, I'm given, at the very beginning of the lab, the concentrations:

[acetone]: 4 M, [I2]: 0.005 M, [HCl]: 1 M

Say, for system 1 acetone, I added 10 mL...how would I find the initial concentration that's in the mixture?

(If it helps, for system one, I had I2 = 10 mL, HCl = 10 mL, H20 = 20 mL, and though this probably has nothing to do with finding the concentration, the time was 280.56 s)

Thanks if you can help; again, I'm not asking you to do my work for me, but just sort of show me the steps to figure it out....

I greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Silly me, all I had to use was C1V1=C2V2
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:57:08 AM by darkryder341 »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Iodination of Acetone (Initial concentration help)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:42:30 AM »
EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Silly me, all I had to use was C1V1=C2V2

More precisely, you had to use mass conservation. It finally boils down to the equation you have listed.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline darkryder341

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Iodination of Acetone (Initial concentration help)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:18:33 AM »
I really, really need some more help...

I'm trying to figure out k values in the activation energy part of the lab calculations. I've found the orders of reactions and rate constants already.

I know that the equation to finding k is [I2]initial/t = k[CH3COCH3]^m[I2]^n[H+]^p

What I'm confused about is that I'm trying to find k for different temperatures. We only used system 1 when doing this. So how am I supposed to get different k values if we used the same system for each temperature? Would I have to calculate new rates using the collected times?...I'm so confused.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links