September 28, 2024, 03:25:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NMP (N-Methylpyrrolidone) use with non-stick coatings  (Read 7301 times)

Offline new_job_help!

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NMP (N-Methylpyrrolidone) use with non-stick coatings
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:47:37 PM »
Hey guys,
I have a very big job interview next week and as part of it I have to prepare a presentation

"Discuss the potential impact that tightening of the legislation to result in NMP being banned from formulations.  What alternates are out there and how would you formulate without it?"

The legislation in question is REACH, affects use of NMP because its reprotoxic, I have a few potential replacements suggested by some suppliers I contacted but...

How is NMP used in the formulation of non-stick, what does it do, why is it so good at it?!!!

This is the info I desperately need and I would be eternally endebted to anyone who can lend a hand.  Any additional info/resources/slap in the face corrections are also very welcome.  Thanx for reading xx

Offline Biopolmonkey

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: NMP (N-Methylpyrrolidone) use with non-stick coatings
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 03:24:04 PM »
This patent: http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/7695807.html indicates that NMP is used as a coalescing agent, which aids the coating process. I don't know if this will be the same throughout the industry, but a starting point for you.

Offline new_job_help!

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Thanks very much, it's a little on the confusing side to navigate but a brilliant refference nevertheless and a solid jumping off point to dig deeper  :D

This would be so much easier if I was a development chemist and not a CSI, stupid past decisions messin up m... mumble mumble rant profanity... mumble  >:(

Offline new_job_help!

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:04:30 PM »
Hello again all.

I'm now having trouble seeing production method of NMP.  It occurs by the cyclization of 4-Methyl-Aminobutyric acid.  I see heat and the loss of a water molecule but the documented mechanism eludes me.

The 2 cyclization methods I have found are Bergman and Nazarov but I can't come to a conclusion as to which one is most applicable and I need to know as I'm sure the question will come up in interview.

Offline new_job_help!

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »
Last request is no longer needed.

Sponsored Links