September 24, 2024, 08:23:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Concentrations & Beer-Lambert Equation  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Bohemian

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Concentrations & Beer-Lambert Equation
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:33:12 AM »
Ethanol + NAD+ :rarrow: Acetaldehyde + NADH + H+.

You have 1ml solution containing 100uM of Ethanol and 1mM of NAD+. You then add 1mg of alcohol dehydrogenase. Assuming all of the ethanol is converted to acetaldehyde, what will the final concentration of NADH be in the solution?

I understand the reaction and how ADH catalyzes it. Normally, I have no issues determining concentrations. That is general chemistry stuff. This one has me a bit confused though. Every which way I do it, I end up with too many grams and a concentration too high. I feel like I'm missing units here, particularly as pertains to volume. I would greatly appreciate some help.

I require the concentration so that I can plug it into the Beer-Lambert equation to find out an absorbance. That, I'm fine with. It's just this concentration question that is getting my goat.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Concentrations & Beer-Lambert Equation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 03:28:21 AM »
You don't have to calculate anything - just look at the reaction equation. How many moles of NADH are produced per each mole of ethanol? Volume is constant.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links