September 27, 2024, 06:21:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: d3 synthon and what is its real reagent  (Read 9932 times)

Offline Chaste

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
d3 synthon and what is its real reagent
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:28 AM »

Hi all, from the above picture, I want to find out how to convert the grignard reagent, with its C=C becoming a CHO.

and can d3-SnBu3 be a d3 synthon reagent as well?

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
Re: d3 synthon and what is its real reagent
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:58:16 AM »
I'm a bit confused, are you trying to convert the aldehyde on the left into the alkene on the right?  FYI, you will not be able to carry a Grignard through multiple synthetic steps, so you will need to make that last.  Same goes for the stannane, although they are more stable.

Offline Chaste

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:24:13 PM »
I'm a bit confused, are you trying to convert the aldehyde on the left into the alkene on the right?  FYI, you will not be able to carry a Grignard through multiple synthetic steps, so you will need to make that last.  Same goes for the stannane, although they are more stable.

hi, my question is how to convert the grignard on the right to the ketone on the left.

Offline jake.n

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »
So you want to describe a way to add the aldehyde group as a grignard, then recover the aldehyde?

For the one of the left, acetals are used to protect ketones and aldehydes and you should be able to find several easy routes back to the carbonyl.
For the alkene, you should be able to find an appropriate oxidation from your sophomore O-chem book.

Offline Chaste

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:04:52 PM »
I can use ozone with triphenylphosphine to get the aldehyde from alkene right? That's what I wanted to ask

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:15:05 PM »
Yes, ozonolysis will convert that alkene to the aldehyde.  But triphenylphosphine isn't used in that reaction, I think you're confusing Wittig conditions.  Again, the Grignard will not survive that step, I'm not sure if that's what the minus symbol is supposed to be on the aldehyde (d3).

Offline Chaste

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »
hmmm isn't triphenylphosphine a quenching reagent for ozonolysis?

so, what you mean is grignard won't survive ozonolysis reaction?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 07:29:59 AM »

so, what you mean is grignard won't survive ozonolysis reaction?

You obviously should read up about Grignard reagents and their properties, they do not survive much at all, as for ozone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline jake.n

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 07:45:04 AM »
I think you are correct in that you are identifying a reagent that is used in synthesis that can be used later to deliver the aldehyde.  Of course the Grignard will not survive the ozonolysis, but by the time you uncover the aldehyde, the grignard will have already been used as a nucleophile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthon

In the example here, the cyanide is used as an acid synthon.  It is first used as a nucleophile, then hydrolized to give the acid at the end of the synthesis.

Similarly, your grignard reagent would be first reacted with an electrophile.  Then you would perform ozonolysis later to "uncover" your aldehyde.

Offline Chaste

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 07:48:45 AM »
Yea, grignard reaction first then the aldehyde.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 08:32:28 AM »

Not as far as I know, typical reagents are Zn/H2O or Me2S

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 09:06:42 AM »
I am going to try to read between the lines here. The poster is in a mix and match class in which strategy is more important than mechanism. Hence, it appears as though reagents are thrown together without thinking of how they react. I also argue that could be construed from the original question.

Triphenylphosphine can be used to reduce ozonides. It probably isn't the most popular reagent as it leaves triphenylphosphine oxide to be separated, but nothing wrong with it being the reductant. Same mechanism as dimethylsulfide.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »
I am going to try to read between the lines here. The poster is in a mix and match class in which strategy is more important than mechanism. Hence, it appears as though reagents are thrown together without thinking of how they react. I also argue that could be construed from the original question.

I understood that just fine, I just don't think it should be an excuse to show questionable chemistry.

Offline jake.n

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
I don't understand what is questionable about it.  Grignard addition followed by ozonolysis is a perfectly acceptable way to add the desired aldehyde to a product.  The grignard cannot react with the aldehyde if you wait to uncover it until after adding the grignard.  The point is to find an indirect way to add the group.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »
The Grignard doesn't add to anything, the net change is 0 if you look at the d3 synthon, it's become a carbon with a - charge on it.

Looking back, I may have misinterpreted what orgopete was saying.  Pete, if you're suggesting that part of the importance is picking out the correct strategy (ie; what we're talking about with the Grignard needing to react first) then I agree.  However, if you're suggesting it doesn't matter because the class is focused on single reaction transformations and all the poster needs to focus on is coverting the alkene to the aldehyde then I don't agree at all.

Sponsored Links