October 04, 2024, 07:18:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Produce CO2 gas by electrolysis method  (Read 3098 times)

Offline spacecadet2010

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Produce CO2 gas by electrolysis method
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:49:22 PM »
I'm seeking a way to produce CO2 gas as a by product of electrolysis. I use tap water, carbon anode or cathode and a power supply. I ramp up the voltage to 60 VDC using a graphite conductor as the anode and a stainless steel cathode and get a lot of bubbling. I'm assuming the gases are hydrogen and chlorine, and CO2? I have a CO2 meter and I think I measured a small increase in ppm but am not sure my experiment's set up right. Any suggestions as to how I can maximize my production of CO2 using the electrolytic process or if I'm even on the right path? I appreciate any insight a contributor can provide.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +224/-62
Re: Produce CO2 gas by electrolysis method
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 04:46:59 PM »
why not take an easier route

Offline spacecadet2010

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:33:32 PM »
I know there are easier ways to produce CO2 with home made chemicals and I do thank you for pointing that out, but the project I have in mind requires careful dispensing of CO2 within a small proximity to entice bed bugs into a trap. I haven't had much success metering out CO2 using baking soda and vinegar or yeast and sugar without complex mechanical dispensing components. My friend suggested the electrolysis method, I tested the basic concept but am not sure chemically how much CO2 I am producing. Is this really that much harder than it seems? I hope not. I appreciate your opinion.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 06:15:43 AM »
Carbonate (calcium, sodium) plus HCl should give you a good control over amount of carbon dioxide - just use excess carbonate and exactly measured volume of acid with a known concentration.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links