September 21, 2024, 12:53:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question on how to solve this.  (Read 5028 times)

Offline HS_Student7

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question on how to solve this.
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:52:47 PM »
This isn't homework or anything just something for preparation. My chem teacher gave us this problem as a challenge. I'm not going to hand it in or anything for points but I just want to learn how to do it since I am totally clueless, because I already found the answers I just don't know how to solve it.
Here it is.
Batman uses pellets, which he does not identify, to neutralize the acid in the tank into which he falls. He does not give the size of the tank. Suppose the pellets were NaOH and the tank was 3.00 meters in diameter filled with 98% Sulfuric acid to a depth of 1.25 meters.
The diagrams details are
-98% H2SO4
-Density ( 1.84 g/cm3)
-Temperature = 20 degree Celsius

The problems are.

1. Calculate the volume of acid in the tank in cm3. (The volume of a cylinder is (pi)(r)2(h)
2. Calculate the mass of acid in the tank in grams ( a milliliter and cm3 are the same thing), and then convert that to moles of acid. Keep in mind that the acid is 98% by mass and has a density of 1.84 g/cm3
3. Write a balanced chemical equation for the double replacement reaction between sulfuric acid and NaOH. This is the reaction Batman uses to neutralize the acid. Using the amount of acid present from #2, calculate the number of moles of NaOH necessary to neutralize the acid. Convert that answer to grams of NaOH.
4. Conver the number of Grams of NaOH from #3 to pounds (1 pound = 454g). Is this something you can carry out on your belt?

Offline jeffrey.struss

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Re: Question on how to solve this.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:05:36 PM »
Umm, honestly this is a very simply laid out problem. If you get the first step, the next step is pretty easy and so on down.

Get the volume of the acid in m3. Convert to cm3. This number is the exact same as milliliters, so replace cm3 with mL. Using the density which is in g/mL convert the milliliters to grams. This gives you the number of grams of material in the tank. Using the fact that it is 98% by mass, get the amount of acid. Calculate the molecular weight of H2SO4 and use that to get the number of moles of acid. With this number of moles of acid, using the neutralization formula of sulfuric acid and NaOH, get the number of moles of NaOH needed. Use the molecular weight of NaOH to get the number of grams of NaOH. From there convert to pounds.

Honestly, you should be able to do each one of these individual steps and get to the end. It will take some math work just sitting htere and working out the numbers but you can get there. Now if you have a question about a specific step then that is fine, but otherwise a lot of htis is just plug and chug.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »
4. Convert the number of Grams of NaOH from #3 to pounds (1 pound = 454g). Is this something you can carry out on your belt?

Nope. Problem solved. No need to calculate anything.

Offline HS_Student7

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »
Oh okay thanks got it. It was easy I guess I was just overthinking it.

Sponsored Links