September 07, 2024, 08:10:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 2D drawing app for iPad?  (Read 3800 times)

Offline ipadorgo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
2D drawing app for iPad?
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:04:08 AM »
Hi All,

I've googled and tried some different applications for both OS X and the iPad's iOS and haven't found anything that is quite what I'm after, so I thought I'd ask here. Mostly, I've used molecular editors and although many are obviously very powerful, they're not quite what I'm after. I'm looking for something to use to practice drawing correct molecules and their resonance structures (with curved arrows and lone pairs and so forth) at the level of an undergraduate organic chemistry course.

With the iPad's touch-screen interface, it seems like an ideal platform to use for drawing molecules and validating them for correctness, but I'd be happy with something like this for either OS X or the iPad. I'd prefer GPL software, but I might consider buying something if it was that compelling.

I noticed http://web.chemdoodle.com/ and it looks promising but I don't think it supports curved arrows and LPs and resonance structures, and I suspect it doesn't validate the student's drawings although I'm still experimenting with it.

I've also experimented with Avogadro for OS X and although it looks wonderfully powerful, I'm not sure it does what I'm after (validate 2D drawings, including resonance structures, LPs, and curved arrows and other such concepts for an early orgo student like me)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Offline helenn

• Mole Snacks: +6/-1
Re: 2D drawing app for iPad?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »
Sorry, I can't help you! But I've been looking for the same sort of thing, I want to be able to draw out structures and mechanisms on a touch screen, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I've thought about trying to design something, but I have no idea about programming!

Sponsored Links