September 07, 2024, 12:25:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lab glassware identification  (Read 5029 times)

Offline sdkenned

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Lab glassware identification
« on: March 19, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »
Some of these items look pretty specialized and I would appreciate any help anyone may offer me to identify them (use, name, etc)...

The first item is the "red neck" bottle that has three openings, the one in the front, comes out in a bit of a spout is the opening of a self contained tube that lets out inside the bottle 5 mm above the bottom.  There is a small hole at the back of the "elbow" as the glass turns above the "red neck", and the opening at the top looks appropriate for a tube connection.  As I have come to describe it, I believe I can begin to conceive of use, but my current organic training is limited, as is my lab knowledge and experience.

The second item has a 3/4 inch diameter tube which extends down through a globe though its diameter is changed to 5mm diameter within the globe and its small protrusion at the bottom.  The globe itself has a small 7mm hole in it at the "top" (near where the larger tube intersects the globe) and there is a hose connection at about 60 degrees from the 5 mm outlet at the bottom of the device.  It appears this item may be used as a distillation condenser, if cold water was introduced to the small globe at the bottom through the hose intake and allowed to vacate through the small hole near the top, if the apparatus were kept over a drain or collection container...

does anyone have any specifics on these items?

Thanks ahead of time for any consideration and attention you offer me.

Good cheer.

Offline sdkenned

Re: Lab glassware identification
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »
Is the red neck device an aerator or something like this, in which one can pass a gas through a liquid and collect the gas or vapor (if inert or modified by rxn with the liquid) as it is emitted through the hose connection at the top of the apparatus?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
It is essentially a spary gun. You pass gas through and it carries the liquid out as a fine mist. Used often for coating TLC plates and such.

Offline voidSetup

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
It is essentially a spary gun. You pass gas through and it carries the liquid out as a fine mist. Used often for coating TLC plates and such.

Ya that sounds right.  We use something similar in our lab to do sulfuric acid sprays on TLC plates to develop them.  It works way better than an iodine chamber.

Offline sdkenned

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
Any ideas about the tube that shrinks by 80% in diameter where it enters a bulbous container with two openings (tube and bulb are contained, do not share content contact)?

Sponsored Links