October 18, 2024, 10:31:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: problems with ions and precipitate  (Read 2993 times)

Offline kenny1999

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
problems with ions and precipitate
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:48:19 AM »
it is known that when aluminium ion, lead(II) ion as well as zinc ion , when either of them added to NaOH, white precipate will be formed, and when NaOH is in excess, the precipitate will dissolve to form a colourless solution.

But this is not the true if either of these ion added to excess NH3 ammonia solution instead. Why??

To my understanding, ammonia in water will also partially ionize to give OH- hyrdoxide ion, but why it doesn't form precipiate with those ions when ammonia in excess?

Really so hard to understand why excess ammonia can shift the equilibrium to have an abundent supply of hydroxide ion.

Please *delete me*

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: problems with ions and precipitate
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 11:26:51 AM »
What is concentration of OH- in a solution of strong base? In solution of ammonia? Assuming identical concentration of ammonia/strong base - how do the concentrations of OH- compare?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kenny1999

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »
it is known that when aluminium ion, lead(II) ion as well as zinc ion , when either of them added to NaOH, white precipate will be formed, and when NaOH is in excess, the precipitate will dissolve to form a colourless solution.

But this is not the true if either of these ion added to excess NH3 ammonia solution instead. Why??

To my understanding, ammonia in water will also partially ionize to give OH- hyrdoxide ion, but why it doesn't form precipiate with those ions when ammonia in excess?

Really so hard to understand why excess ammonia can shift the equilibrium to have an abundent supply of hydroxide ion.

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »
what is the pKb value of ammonia? And that of NaOH?
What does this mean for the abundance of OH- at identical concentrations of these bases?

Sponsored Links