September 29, 2024, 12:27:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Perkin Condensation/Similar Topics  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Arait

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Perkin Condensation/Similar Topics
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:37:59 PM »
Hi, I just had a couple problems that are absolutely driving me insane.  They're a couple homework problems that I can't find a good explanation for in my textbook/notes/powerpoints.  The Perkin condensation problem is just flat out nowhere, and online sources aren't helping me much.  Normally, I wouldn't ask for help on something like this, but we only have 4 attempts per question, so I can't experiment as much with the answer as I would like without losing points.

Here a the main ones giving me trouble:

Any help would be appreciated.  A couple of these problems have follow up problems that I can't answer unless I get the first one correct.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Perkin Condensation/Similar Topics
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »
Hi, I just had a couple problems that are absolutely driving me insane.  They're a couple homework problems that I can't find a good explanation for in my textbook/notes/powerpoints.  The Perkin condensation problem is just flat out nowhere, and online sources aren't helping me much.  Normally, I wouldn't ask for help on something like this, but we only have 4 attempts per question, so I can't experiment as much with the answer as I would like without losing points.

Here a the main ones giving me trouble:

Well, as you know this is a Perkin condensation, do things like http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Perkin_reaction&oldid=422941356 help?

What do you imagine the base will do to the carbonyl?

Any help would be appreciated.  A couple of these problems have follow up problems that I can't answer unless I get the first one correct.

Sponsored Links