September 29, 2024, 02:34:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do I find the equation for formation of a compound?  (Read 2780 times)

Offline llain123

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How do I find the equation for formation of a compound?
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
Well I've mastered the main part of Hess's law, but when I'm asked to form the equation for the formation of a compound myself, I don't know what to do.

Eg. Formation of C2H4, formation of ethanoic acid and more complex ones.

To take the first as an example, how do I know if its:

2C+2H2 -> C2H4

or

C2+2H2 -> C2H4.

Don't even know where to start for ethanoic acid.

Thanks!

Offline darko

• Mole Snacks: +0/-5
Re: How do I find the equation for formation of a compound?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »
as a start you have to learn what is represente with 2C and what with C2, wich dont exist (on the level of chemistry you are involved), as a help gasses (except nobel gasess), are in molecular shape ig N2,O2  ,and "other" compounds are in atomic state (there are few wich is important for you to know which are exceptions P4, S8...), and thuse are represented as ig: C, Ca, Pb, K, Na....

so 2C means two atoms of carbon, N2 means one molecule oh nytrogen (consisted of two atoms).

hope it helps

p.s. terms are used on the level of knowledge acorded to the question, formation of acetic acid is not the most educational (may get in several ways) in field of Hess law, it is more organic mechanisams.

Offline SirRoderick

• Mole Snacks: +10/-1
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:44:04 PM »
As for CH3COOH, just use H2, C and O2

Offline llain123

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »
as a start you have to learn what is represente with 2C and what with C2, wich dont exist (on the level of chemistry you are involved), as a help gasses (except nobel gasess), are in molecular shape ig N2,O2  ,and "other" compounds are in atomic state (there are few wich is important for you to know which are exceptions P4, S8...), and thuse are represented as ig: C, Ca, Pb, K, Na....

so 2C means two atoms of carbon, N2 means one molecule oh nytrogen (consisted of two atoms).

hope it helps

p.s. terms are used on the level of knowledge acorded to the question, formation of acetic acid is not the most educational (may get in several ways) in field of Hess law, it is more organic mechanisams.

Thanks. I understand the difference between 2C and C2, but I didn't know which state carbon would be in. It seems there are certain standards for these like you mentioned with gases so I'll try and find out what they all are.

As for CH3COOH, just use H2, C and O2

Gotcha, thanks.

Sponsored Links