October 18, 2024, 06:22:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: qualitative analysis  (Read 3036 times)

Offline siriusorion

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
qualitative analysis
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:14:36 AM »
I have this QA question.

Five aqueous solutions are provided. Each solution contain one of the following: aluminium sulfate, barium chloride, magnesium sulfate, sodium hydroxide, zinc nitrate. You are provided with a solution of aqueous potassium chromate (VI)

Plan a series of experiment using only the 5 solutions provided and the aqueous potassium chromate(VI) to deduce which compound is present in each of the solutions.

You should start by adding aqueous potassium chromate(VI) to each of the solution.

Use of other other reagents of indicators is not allowed.

So my qn is: besides bacl2, does k2cro4 react with aluminium sulfate? also, is mgcro4 soluble or not? different sources on the internet gives me conflicting answers and i am confused. same for the others too..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:47:01 AM by siriusorion »

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: qualitative analysis
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:39:52 AM »
You can do better than that - what sort of reactions might you expect? What would be the properties of the products?

Offline siriusorion

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:49:57 AM »
@fladarmus thanks for your reply. I changed my question a bit, i'm more of confused about the existence and solubility of various products...

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »
Your textbook should have a table or list of common reactions for just this sort of analysis.  Also, there are some general solubility rules, often given in table or list form.  For you to start working this problem out, begin by grouping your list of samples into two groups, one that have a reaction with your first solution -- K2CrO4 (notice, much clearer when capitalized correctly, this forum also has sub and sup buttons for you to use.)  Once you have those 2 lists sorted, you can work on each list individually.  Often, a textbook will build a flowchart "tree" plan, just like this.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links