September 29, 2024, 02:26:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Drawing Structures Online & Question on Organic Chemistry Reaction  (Read 8881 times)

Offline disneygurl2010

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
1. Does anyone know a good free program that can draw structures on a MAC?  Paint does not seem to help on time....

2. My professor did this reaction in class but I am having trouble understanding the mechanism as well as how to name it to find it online.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
Re: Drawing Structures Online & Question on Organic Chemistry Reaction
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »
I've used a program called ACD Chemsketch that was alright.

The reaction your professor showed looks like a variant of the Williamson ether synthesis.  Start there and see if you can figure out the rest.  I'm honestly not sure what he means by tertiary ether, I've never heard that terminology.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:58:24 AM »
I'm a fan of ChemSketch too. Its from ACD labs and the freeware version  has pretty much every feature you could ever need in a structure drawing program.
Individual results may vary

Offline disneygurl2010

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:06:06 PM »
Do you happen to know a good link or website that has info on how to download it & works?  I trid several on google but so far none has been able to work...=(

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 11:47:46 PM »
For the reaction, think carbocation intermediate and its chemistry.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline qbkr21

• Mole Snacks: +0/-8
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
i use chemdraw.  it is expensive but as a grad student i get it for free.  you can also do some cool NMR stuff on it.

for your reaction think about the leaving group.  the Cl- halide is an excellent leaving group.  the alcohol R-OH is electron rich and highly nucleophilic with two sets of lone pairs on the oxygen. one of the lone pairs swarms in and attacks via SN2 on the carbon bound to Cl-.  the Cl- is ejected and a positive charge is placed on the oxygen (think about the # of valence electrons oxygen has).  then there is a loss of the -H+ bound to oxygen to rid of the positive charge and create a neutral species.

1. Does anyone know a good free program that can draw structures on a MAC?  Paint does not seem to help on time....

2. My professor did this reaction in class but I am having trouble understanding the mechanism as well as how to name it to find it online.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »
Insert Quote
i use chemdraw.  it is expensive but as a grad student i get it for free.  you can also do some cool NMR stuff on it.

For 1H NMR prediction I like nmrdb.org
http://www.nmrdb.org/predictor

I'm far from current on ChemDraw but from what I gathered from my forays into it, the coupling predictor is rather simplistic*. The 13C predictor is pretty good though, but if you're desperate you can work those out with pencil an paper. I do like the CD MS peak predictor. It helps when I forget what happens when you've got more than one halogen in a molecule and don't feel like looking it up.

*along the lines of "hey, there's three neighboring protons so it must be a quartet, no matter that they're nonidentical. nmrdb.org will even go so far as to predict splitting patterns and coupling constants. However, as with all computed results, nothing is written in stone until you determine them experimentally.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:08:35 AM »
I'm far from current on ChemDraw but from what I gathered from my forays into it, the coupling predictor is rather simplistic

Yeah, I gave up on that years ago. I don't get a ChemDraw Ultra license any more, only ChemDraw Std, which is quite annoying. The main tool I miss is the structure->name converter.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 06:23:17 AM »
I'm far from current on ChemDraw but from what I gathered from my forays into it, the coupling predictor is rather simplistic

Yeah, I gave up on that years ago. I don't get a ChemDraw Ultra license any more, only ChemDraw Std, which is quite annoying. The main tool I miss is the structure->name converter.

Dan,
If you need that functionality send me the structure.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links