September 29, 2024, 04:14:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Picrate salts  (Read 4612 times)

Offline poorstudent83

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Picrate salts
« on: January 17, 2012, 05:54:29 PM »
Hi all,

I need to prepare some solutions of picrate salts. Typically, nitrate salts are mixed with a solution of picric acid to prepare a solution of the picrate salt. I've also seen a few examples where carbonate salts are used instead of nitrates. Does anyone out there know if it's possible to use perchlorate salts for the same purpose (ie prepare the picrate salts by adding perchlorate salts to a solution of picric acid???)

Cheers!

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Picrate salts
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Hi all,

I need to prepare some solutions of picrate salts. Typically, nitrate salts are mixed with a solution of picric acid to prepare a solution of the picrate salt. I've also seen a few examples where carbonate salts are used instead of nitrates. Does anyone out there know if it's possible to use perchlorate salts for the same purpose (ie prepare the picrate salts by adding perchlorate salts to a solution of picric acid???)

Cheers!

Look up the properties of these compounds before you do anything. They are rather energetic species. Then rethink the whole thing.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:25:12 AM »
Yup, read the title as Pirate Salts...

Need more coffee...
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
Metal picrates?

Imma have to second Disco on this one. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, there's a very good chance you could cause an explosion.
Individual results may vary

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
I recon an admin should lock this thread.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline poorstudent83

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
I am making solutions of picrate salts for the Pedersen extraction technique - it's a very widely used technique to determine metal ion selectivity!!! I will, in fact, be preparing low molarity solutions of the metal picrates and will not be handling them neat.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:33:16 AM »
Some of the metal perchlorates are of low solubility, and should you want to prepare the picrate salt pure, and not in solution, looking at the solubility of each will be very important.  Personally I would use the carbonates as you have no other ions in solution after loss of carbonate as CO2 and H2O.  But since it appears you only need an aqueous solution of the picrate, starting with nitrate, carbonate, perchlorate, will all work.  

I have posted impact sensitivities for picrate salts in another thread, and for the most part they are overrated.  Exception: lead, silver, mercury, thallium, but we are still talking hammer hit to set off, not spontaneous explosions.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:58:08 AM »
Bottom line is: Discussion of the synthesis of explosives is not allowed.

I know might be a borderline case with legitimate motives, but the drugs/explosives rule is our biggest, strictest rule. There can be no exceptions, even if it does stop legitimate chemistry discussion from time to time.

poorstudent83, Investigate safer alternatives first. DO NOT perform these experiments without the supervision of an experienced chemist, and make sure all appropriate safety precautions are taken.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links