September 07, 2024, 08:21:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Physical Chemistry prac: measurement of pH calculations help  (Read 2746 times)

Offline PaintYourFuture

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Having lots of trouble finishing a physchem prac report on measuring pH..
A quinhydrone electrode was used, coupled with the calomel electrode (reference electrode). Both were in a beaker of acetic acid, deionised water and quinhydrone to saturate the solution. Sodium hydroxide was added in 2mL portions and the emf was recorded after each addition.

One of the first questions is to plot  :delta:E/  :delta:V  Vs Vbar. It tells me that Vbar = (Vn+1 + Vn)/2.

What is 'n' referring to? Is it the number of moles of the NaOH in each of the volumes? I'm not really sure what this equation is getting at..

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1805/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Physical Chemistry prac: measurement of pH calculations help
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 03:11:00 AM »
I would guess these are consecutive total volumes of added NaOH, or something close to that.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:35:31 AM »
What Borek said - Vn is the volume after the nth addition of a 2 mL portion of sodium hydroxide. Depending on the context of the problem it might represent either the total volume of the solution at that point (which I suspect is true in this case) or just the total volume of NaOH added. Basically, you are just taking the average of the volume during the (n+1) addition and comparing it to the energy change per unit added volume.

Offline PaintYourFuture

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »
Righto. That makes things more do-able. Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links