October 23, 2024, 05:30:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lead Poisoning Help  (Read 9382 times)

Offline deltaboss

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Lead Poisoning Help
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:45:01 AM »
OK so I am relativly new to chemestry and previously in the year I place lead in some HCL along with some Zinc nails.  I have been exposed to this chemical and am looking for answers about my potential lead poisoning. I would be glad to know any way i can check chemically if I have been lead poisoned.
Additonal info: According to what I have read, i apparently have zinc and lead chloride. The reaction is a single replacement producing H2 and PbCl and ZnCl. When I was pouring this chemical into some test tubes it spilled on some aluminum and fizzed, now the aluminum is dark grey where the chemical was. It also makes sudlike bubbles when poured on the ground (another accident). The liquid looks to be a verk dark orange/brown, did spill some on my hands and the skin where the drops landed became an orange color which went away after multiple hand washings. I did get tested for lead poisoning (waiting for results), I did however think to x ray my hand (i do have access to have myself x rayed), however do lead salts show up on x ray?
...I think next time I will buy some nice saftey equipment.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Lead Poisoning Help
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:54:47 AM »
OK so I am relativly new to chemestry and previously in the year I place lead in some HCL along with some Zinc nails.  I have been exposed to this chemical and am looking for answers about my potential lead poisoning. I would be glad to know any way i can check chemically if I have been lead poisoned.

What were the quantities you used , of the nails, the lead and the HCl?
Anyway you are not poisoned, you posted here so you must be alive!

Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline deltaboss

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:07:31 PM »
I can't be sure about the measure of HCL but the amount of Pb was a fishing weight smaller than my thumb.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »
I can't be sure about the measure of HCL but the amount of Pb was a fishing weight smaller than my thumb.

Unless you ingested the entire HCl solution I do not think you need to worry too much.
My Research History

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »
Compare:
PbCl2 Oral (rat); LD50: >1947 mg/kg
NaCl  Oral (rat); LD50: >3000 mg/kg
sucrose Oral (rat): (LD50); 29700 mg/kg
AWK

Offline deltaboss

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 01:24:18 PM »
Thanks guys, I just got x rayed but there was nothing to see, no noticble color differences on the skin. I think i am worring too much, but now that this happened, i learned to do your homework first. Reading about lead toxicology and its history is quite fascinating, especially how they detect it.

Offline deltaboss

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
Btw, do you guys have any ideas on how to dispose of the solution. I am just a teen with a porch for a lab, so I don't want to harm anything. Oh and what gloves should i use when hanling this stuff, Nitrile or Neoprene? I once had a link to a geat pdf on what solutions were compatable with what gloves, but alas I lost it.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
Btw, do you guys have any ideas on how to dispose of the solution. I am just a teen with a porch for a lab, so I don't want to harm anything. Oh and what gloves should i use when hanling this stuff, Nitrile or Neoprene? I once had a link to a geat pdf on what solutions were compatable with what gloves, but alas I lost it.

Absorb the solution with some soil ( assuming it is not a large volume) bag it a d put it in the trash where it will be incinerated, I assume they incinerate where you are).
Use neoprene gloves.
My Research History

Offline deltaboss

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »
My city uses a landfill. I am curious why it formed suds. And in HS we used a detergent to wash out lab equipment should i just wash the glassware outside with a hose or would i be safe to wash it in a sink.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
I did however think to x ray my hand (i do have access to have myself x rayed), however do lead salts show up on x ray?

Probably. I know that BaSO4 shows up.
But if you have been exposed to a small amount of lead slats, then I don't think it will show up on an X-ray.

Offline deltaboss

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »
I once had a link to a geat pdf on what solutions were compatable with what gloves, but alas I lost it.
Well I found the link again, it seems to be useful, http://www.ansellpro.com/download/Ansell_7thEditionChemicalResistanceGuide.pdf.

Sponsored Links