September 28, 2024, 07:26:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help in Understanding Molecular Structure  (Read 2428 times)

Offline grajee

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need help in Understanding Molecular Structure
« on: August 27, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »
All,

Would be great if someone could clarify. I want to help my son understand chemistry better and to help him understand I have been going through chemistry text books myself. My question is pertaining to the Molecular structure. Take for example water(H2O). It is always diagrammed as H-O-H. Why is this so? Why not H-H-O? I’m aware Atomic Number of H is 1 and Atomic Number of O is 8. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be great!!

Thanks,
grajee

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Need help in Understanding Molecular Structure
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »

In every molecule atoms are arranged in space. In water molecule both hydrogens are attached to the oxygen atom and there is an angle between them (104.45°).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:35:21 PM »
The textbook may also offer another hint, based on the number of bonds each atom can form, there should be a list for some common elements.  Consider your alternate diagram H-H-O, one hydrogen has two bonds, one hydrogen has one bond ... why would that happen?  You have oxygen with one bond, these are things that just don't happen.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline grajee

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »
Hello Borek,

This is my problem. Based on your reply, I will have to assume that both the hydrogen atoms are attached to the Oxygen atoms and that is how the Structural Diagram shows.

Going by what Arkcon mentioned, it seems to make sense since H has only one electron and in the case of H-H-O how would O bond with H if there is no other valence electrons  available for bonding. But incases of mocules that have more number of Valence electrons looks like I have to post at a different time. I will try to maintain this thread for my future questions.

Looks like I have a lot to read - especially on Valence Electrons. But time is on my side since my Son is only 4 (almost 5).

Thanks for both of your Time,
Gopi

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »
I will try to maintain this thread for my future questions.

From our point of view it is better if you start a new thread each time. Helps maintain order on the forum.

Looks like I have a lot to read

Check this thread: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=42212.0
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links