September 28, 2024, 01:25:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Multistep synthesis. Can I get help with the first step of the reaction?  (Read 3738 times)

Offline pocopo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I don't recall ever seeing that base before and I do not know how it would integrate itself with those two reactants.  Could someone help get me started?

Thanks in advance

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
The base deprotonates the alpha protons of the ketone, this anion attacks the imine carbon.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline pocopo

Thanks, alright so I had drawn out the mechanism.  I have the it so the base attacked the alpha carbon and had attached itself at that point.  By doing so a double bond formed between the alpha carbon and the O gets a negative charge.  It then attacks the imine carbon and attaches as that point.  The double bond breaks and the N gets a negative charge.  Does the negative charge move down to form a double bond between N and Ph2? 

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
Probably not it may pick up a proton and form the NH.
My Research History

Offline pocopo

There is no water present in the first step so I don't think that will happen.  I was thinking the N- might attack the double bonded O.  Since intramolecular reactions are usually what your supposed to look for first.  Therefore a ring would form.  Does this sound right?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
OK did not realise there was no work up. It attacks the carbonyl to the ketone and eliminates -CCl3
My Research History

Offline pocopo

In the product the CCl3 was replaced by an OH group.  If the CCl3 leaves how does the OH group attach?  Wouldn't it substitute somehow?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
I disagree with that elimination. I think the carbon in the CCl3 must be incorporated in the product.

You don't need a workup to protonate the N- in the first step - you protonated the phenoxide catalyst in the first step (to form a phenol). Once you form the N-, you can deprotonate the phenol, regenerating your phenoxide catalyst and forming an NH.

Hint for the OP: That borohydride reagent is a common alternative to sodium cyanoborohydride.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline pocopo

Hi Dan,
I had spoken to my professor and was told that it was correct that CCl3 was not a leaving group.  I was also told that what I had said about the N- attacking the double bonded O was incorrect.  Since that large base is a catalyst it must be regenerated.  Therefore it comes in and attacks the N-, which re-protonates the base (reforming the base).  Then from working on the problem with my prof I had found that LiAl(O+Bu)3H comes in and reduces the ketone.  He had told me to think about the O- bonded to the CCl3 and what might happen.  I don't see how a -OH can be subbed in for the CCl. : /

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Then from working on the problem with my prof I had found that LiAl(O+Bu)3H comes in and reduces the ketone.

Ok, I think I know what is happening now. I initially suspected reductive amination in the reducing step, but was not happy about the ring strain in the imine intermediate. Now I see an alternative that is more likely.

Hint: KOH will deprotonate the alcohol; Cl- is a good leaving group.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links